Can I use droid X at sprint or another carrier?

webcenter

Reaction score
Hello.

I'll purchase droid x, but I use droid x another carrier. ex)sprint or metro pcs?
(I think, droid x use at CDMA 800mhz only support Rev.0, If Not support rev.A)

I'll buy droid x phone only.(No cotract with verizon, because my home only catch sprint signal )

Is it possble?

If impossible, what is problem?
Verizon CDMA use lock solution?

Last edited:

vzwtek

Reaction score
Hello.

I'll purchase droid x, but I use droid x another carrier. ex)sprint or metro pcs?
(I think, droid x use at CDMA 800mhz only support Rev.0, If Not support rev.A)

I'll buy droid x phone only.(No cotract with verizon, because my home only catch sprint signal )

Is it possble?

If impossible, what is problem?
Verizon CDMA use lock solution?

Yes, you would have to change the DUN, MIP, SIP, PRL then in the programming set the roaming preference to B. You would have to use a program like QPST to flash it since the RSD does not have the MAtrix files to support it yet that i know of. I'm 100 percent you could get it to make calls, about 50% for data. Droidx uses EVDO rev. A. leave it on that, you could change it, but i wouldnt.

Verizon doesnt really lock it down, its more on sprints side whether or not they can activate it as a data device. Hopefully the esn is in their matrix, if they can activate it to a plan, that would be half the battle.

Last edited:
OP
W

webcenter

Reaction score
Yes, you would have to change the DUN, MIP, SIP, PRL then in the programming set the roaming preference to B. You would have to use a program like QPST to flash it since the RSD does not have the MAtrix files to support it yet that i know of. I'm 100 percent you could get it to make calls, about 50% for data. Droidx uses EVDO rev. A. leave it on that, you could change it, but i wouldnt.

Verizon doesnt really lock it down, its more on sprints side whether or not they can activate it as a data device. Hopefully the esn is in their matrix, if they can activate it to a plan, that would be half the battle.

Thanks for your answer.
I have two questions
1)
if i use a web surfing make a data connection using EVDO Rev.a
if i make ca call, using EVDO Rev.0
isn't it?

2) if i change romaing info value(DUN, MIP, SIP, PRL,etc....),
only change RSD matrix file using QPST?
I think, using custom droidx ROM instead of original droidx ROM.

vzwtek

Reaction score

Thanks for your answer.
I have two questions
1)
if i use a web surfing make a data connection using EVDO Rev.a
if i make ca call, using EVDO Rev.0
isn't it?

2) if i change romaing info value(DUN, MIP, SIP, PRL,etc....),
only change RSD matrix file using QPST?
I think, using custom droidx ROM instead of original droidx ROM.

Matrix files are attached to the Motorola RSD, they use them to tell the software what to do with the phone when you are changing Values.

Qpst is an application that is like RSD, just can be used Universally to edit the information.

You will use 1xrtt to make and recieve calls, EVDO-rev 0/A control the data.

You dont need any special roms, because you will be editing the Radio table with this, not the software really.

You got 30 days with a 35 dollar restock fee if you want to try it. All you will be out is 35 bucks if it doesn work.

vasuki

Reaction score
Just a quick reply, as this is off topic, but I am trying to do something similar with the original Droid on Verizon running Android 2.2. You inspired me in investigate CDMA Workshop and qpst, both new to me. However, I am in somewhat of a unique situation. A local CDMA carrier has give me "everything I should need" to get my Droid working on their network. This includes the following files:

A854-MIP.mip
A854-SEC.sec
A854-FEATURE.ftr
A854-NAM.nam
83110evdo.prl
A854-RTT.trd
A854-EVDO.edo

71910_1X.prl
83110-evdo.prl
idut.prl
"The 71910 PRL is for phones that are not EV-DO capable, but will allow the phone to roam nationwide. All non-3G phones will use this PRL except for the non-contract phones that purchase the ID/UT roaming package which requires the idut.prl.The 83110 is for EV-DO capable phones for those markets that have EV-DO. "

My phone is unlocked. Can you point me in the right direction as what to do next?

Thanks,

vasuki

vzwtek

Reaction score
Sweet, did they give you any of the dun information for their network? all they gotta do is activate your sn to a new account on their network, then all you have to do is load that prl to the phone, i would probably use qpst, its a little easier, unless you got the full blown rsd, then you can even do it there. Then once you load it, you should be able to manually program it with the min and mdn that they give you, and then it should work, tell me how you come out, and I could give you some more specific help.

vasuki

Reaction score
Sweet, did they give you any of the dun information for their network? all they gotta do is activate your sn to a new account on their network, then all you have to do is load that prl to the phone, i would probably use qpst, its a little easier, unless you got the full blown rsd, then you can even do it there. Then once you load it, you should be able to manually program it with the min and mdn that they give you, and then it should work, tell me how you come out, and I could give you some more specific help.

Thanks for getting back! I'm looking forward to getting this working. From what I've learned over the past few days qpst can be difficult to use, but I'm getting it installed now. Is there a resource you might recommend for learning more about terminology and working with qpst? What parameters will I need for the dun; phone number? server ip, port, etc? sn= screen name?, rsd = ?, mdn = ? min = ?, and the other file names?

Thanks!

vzwtek

Reaction score

Thanks for getting back! I'm looking forward to getting this working. From what I've learned over the past few days qpst can be difficult to use, but I'm getting it installed now. Is there a resource you might recommend for learning more about terminology and working with qpst? What parameters will I need for the dun; phone number? server ip, port, etc? sn= screen name?, rsd = ?, mdn = ? min = ?, and the other file names?

Thanks!

MDN (Mobile directory number) or MTN (Mobile telephone number), this is your actual telephone number
MIN: (Mobile Identification Number) Deals with the billing side, it is attached to your MDN. You will need both.
I would need to know the carrier for server ip, port, and other carrier unique things like that.
DUN (Dial up networking) this is important for the phone to have data, each carrier is different when it comes to the DUN username and passord. The other important item you will need to know is your SIP (session initiation Protocol) information.
RSD is a tool from motorola for flashing phones. You can search for RSD lite.

For use of QPST, you have to know alot of what you are doing, but usually when you are looking to change a parameter. I would google it, but if you are looking for specific functions and cant find it, pm me.

Polymira

Reaction score
To be honest, with how small if a chance you have to get sprint to activate the phone, i'm wondering why not get an Evo instead?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

vzwtek

Reaction score
To be honest, with how small if a chance you have to get sprint to activate the phone, i'm wondering why not get an Evo instead?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

its not that small of a chance. You could potentially get any cdma phone to work with a different carrier.

How to flash HTC Droid Eris to Cricket with Talk, Text, Wap and MMS 5/3/2010 - xda-developers
This is an example of flashing an eris to cricket.

And if the MEID is the issue, there are ways of changing that as well. although remember, its not legal to do in the united states.........

vasuki

Reaction score
Hey vzxtek, I shot you a pm. My droid is working on the 3rd party network, but no data. I actually used the link above to try the settings with a new profile instead of just updating PPP Config, but all settings are erased after reboot - back to vz defaults. The new profile is viewable, but the settings revert back there and in the PPP Config tab. Any suggestions?

vzwtek

Reaction score
Hey vzxtek, I shot you a pm. My droid is working on the 3rd party network, but no data. I actually used the link above to try the settings with a new profile instead of just updating PPP Config, but all settings are erased after reboot - back to vz defaults. The new profile is viewable, but the settings revert back there and in the PPP Config tab. Any suggestions?

Third party software would be the only way for PPP configs to stick. Look around and you can find some good ones.

Kaotic007

Reaction score
I have a Droid X issue

Hey guys. I just converted from Verizon to a company called Tru Cellular. I'm still using Verizons towers for signal but I can't use any of my Data services unless I use WiFi. My picture messaging is does not work at all. Is there something I can doto solve this problem?
On a scale from 1-10, I'm about a 6.5 when it comes to programming phones but I don't have any progs/apps at home.
Thanks everyone in advance.

vzwtek

Reaction score
Is try cellular a reseller or do they roaming agreements with vzw and other carriers?

x_orange90_x

Reaction score
sorry to bump such an old thread, but i have a very similar question.

someone i work with is getting rid of a Verizon Droid X because they are getting a new phone. he told me if i can get it to work on my network he would sell it to me. i currently have Sprint and am on their Everything Data plan which is unlimited everything. my question is, can i get this Droid X to work on my current plan with Sprint? and if so can i get everything to work such as voice, data, MMS and SMS?

i have no experience in flashing phones or doing anything similar.. but i am confident that with proper instruction i could successfully do so, granted its even possible.

thanks in advance for your replies!