Droid X on Different Carrier

c4k3z

Reaction score
I got my Droid X on launch day and love it so far. However, I just recently found out I will be relocating to a different country. After doing a bit of research I found that a large carrier there also uses CDMA technology and many unlocked verizon phones have been configured to work on that network.

My question is do you guys think I will ever be able to use my Droid X on another carriers CDMA network or should I just return this phone before my month trial is up.

vzwtek

Reaction score
I got my Droid X on launch day and love it so far. However, I just recently found out I will be relocating to a different country. After doing a bit of research I found that a large carrier there also uses CDMA technology and many unlocked verizon phones have been configured to work on that network.

My question is do you guys think I will ever be able to use my Droid X on another carriers CDMA network or should I just return this phone before my month trial is up.

you could, you will need the carriers Mip/SIP settings, prl, imsi. sid, and carrier code. the only problem is as of now the RSD's dont have the matrix file to change or manipulate that information, you could get risky and use Qpst. I'm 100 Percent you could get it to make calls, 25-50% Data.

OP
C

c4k3z

Reaction score

you could, you will need the carriers Mip/SIP settings, prl, imsi. sid, and carrier code. the only problem is as of now the RSD's dont have the matrix file to change or manipulate that information, you could get risky and use Qpst. I'm 100 Percent you could get it to make calls, 25-50% Data.

Could you please elaborate, I thought the Droid X was locked and that without cracking the bootloader a true unlock would be impossible.

vzwtek

Reaction score

Could you please elaborate, I thought the Droid X was locked and that without cracking the bootloader a true unlock would be impossible.

If this other carrier is CDMA, unlocking is not the problem, you can force a phone to roam on any network if you wanted it to. The work is trying to get it to A. Do the over the air activation. B. trying to get the phone to recognize that carriers data settings to use it on their network.

The first major hurdle is if the other carrier has that phone in their device database, if not, if there is a generic ESN Database entry for smartphones.

If the other carrier is GSM, then you are out of luck.

If you can get me the carrier name, I can give you the details for the radio setup.

OP
C

c4k3z

Reaction score

If this other carrier is CDMA, unlocking is not the problem, you can force a phone to roam on any network if you wanted it to. The work is trying to get it to A. Do the over the air activation. B. trying to get the phone to recognize that carriers data settings to use it on their network.

The first major hurdle is if the other carrier has that phone in their device database, if not, if there is a generic ESN Database entry for smartphones.

If you can get me the carrier name, I can give you the details for the radio setup.

I'm moving to China so the biggest CDMA network there is China Telecom. Thanks so much for your quick relies and help.

Please note that I am going to be there permanantly and will be canceling my verizon contract so the phone still must work w/o being connected to verizon in anyway.

vzwtek

Reaction score

I'm moving to China so the biggest CDMA network there is China Telecom. Thanks so much for your quick relies and help.

Please note that I am going to be there permanantly and will be canceling my verizon contract so the phone still must work w/o being connected to verizon in anyway.

Now i know that they jsut dumped a huge amount of cash on EVDO rev. B so i am pretty sure your data may work, They are one of the largest cdma carriers out there.

Where will you live and kind of travel around the area, with that I can tell you if the phone will work for you or not, if it will, I'll reply once I get into work. it will be about 12 pm before I can answer.

OP
C

c4k3z

Reaction score

Now i know that they jsut dumped a huge amount of cash on EVDO rev. B so i am pretty sure your data may work, They are one of the largest cdma carriers out there.

Where will you live and kind of travel around the area, with that I can tell you if the phone will work for you or not, if it will, I'll reply once I get into work. it will be about 12 pm before I can answer.

I will canceling my verizon in november and moving to shanghai then.

vzwtek

Reaction score
Ok, so you are going to be living in and around shanghai right? I will see what i can get for you, and I'll make some calls to get the settings you will need to make it work. Like i said, give me a few hours and I'll see what I can come up with.

Hyporea

Reaction score
Hiya!

Just discovered this thread. Good info. I'm in a similar situation (will post my situation shortly) and certainly I'm interested in the outcome of this.

--Hyporea

OP
C

c4k3z

Reaction score
Ok, so you are going to be living in and around shanghai right? I will see what i can get for you, and I'll make some calls to get the settings you will need to make it work. Like i said, give me a few hours and I'll see what I can come up with.

Were you able to find anything out?

vzwtek

Reaction score

Were you able to find anything out?

Well, i cant read chinese, lol, but here is a website where they got a 9530 data settings to work, and they look like they were using the same tools you would need to.

ºÚÝ®9530ÉÏÍøÉèÖÃ_°Ù¶ÈÎÄ¿â

It contains an evdo prl and the software needed to make it work I believe, look at it and see what you can workout, i think its got the settings for china wireless or china unicom. Cant read chinese so dont know, lol.

szeewon

Reaction score
Hi! I'm moving to Beijing soon and I want to get the Droid x, but only if it'll work. Were you able to get everything running correctly?

irishronan

Reaction score
I am moving to Shanghai next week for several years. I am taking my phone with me. I am keeping my Verizon account and have enabled international data for an additional $15 per month. This way the phone works over there through my US data plan. I am using my google voice phone number as my main line for people to call. This then forwards to my mobile but using the data plan.
The benefits to this are
1) people can call me easily from the US
2) all my calls back to the US are free
3) Google voice calling rates are so cheap that calling internationally or Chine is not an issue
4) I maintain unfiltered connectivity to the outside world. Websites are not filtered through the phone as they are through your computer connection

The negative is
1) I still have a US phone number in China

I am doing this because I haven't been able to get a good handle on the mobile phone world in china and cannot give up my Droid.

Ansextra

Reaction score
I am moving to Shanghai next week for several years. I am taking my phone with me. I am keeping my Verizon account and have enabled international data for an additional $15 per month. This way the phone works over there through my US data plan. I am using my google voice phone number as my main line for people to call. This then forwards to my mobile but using the data plan.
The benefits to this are
1) people can call me easily from the US
2) all my calls back to the US are free
3) Google voice calling rates are so cheap that calling internationally or Chine is not an issue
4) I maintain unfiltered connectivity to the outside world. Websites are not filtered through the phone as they are through your computer connection

The negative is
1) I still have a US phone number in China

I am doing this because I haven't been able to get a good handle on the mobile phone world in china and cannot give up my Droid.
How is forwarding thru Google Voice using your data plan? Google Voice uses call minutes.