Droid X on Different Carrier

junglebellows

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. I'm travel to and fro between Delhi, India and New Jersey and stay for 2-4 months at a time in any one location. I do know that India has two major CDMA players in Reliance and Tata. What I want to know is whether my Droid X (without a contract) will be able to connect with these carriers. My other option is eBay <quietly sheds a tear>.

vzwtek

Reaction score
Google voice will not use your minutes.

However internation rates still apply through your google checkout account (i think)

reliance and tata should work becuase they are both cdma/evdo carriers, the only catch is I dont know what band they work off of, and I dont know what their possible SIP/MIP settings would be because they are using different country codes.

Ansextra

Reaction score
Google Voice does use minutes. If you call Google Voice from your phone to initiate a call you need to pay for that phone call. Google Voice is not a wi-fi app. If you make a call using Google Voice from gmail, for instance, that's different. Then you don't use any minutes.

vzwtek

Reaction score
Google Voice does use minutes. If you call Google Voice from your phone to initiate a call you need to pay for that phone call. Google Voice is not a wi-fi app. If you make a call using Google Voice from gmail, for instance, that's different. Then you don't use any minutes.

My fault let me reiterate. It does use minutes, unless you have my circle or friends and family, or something like that. This is how I have it set up on my verizon account.

Verizon Friends and Family = Free Calls?? - Google Voice Help

Now, and always have been minute free.

Ansextra

Reaction score
I used to use Friends and Family with GV but since Google started to use varied phone numbers I didn't think I could set it up. With one phone number it was easy but....

Ansextra

Reaction score
That's great! Thanks! :D

So basically it always accesses Google Voice using your own Google Voice number?

Last edited:

sn_ankit

Reaction score
travelling to India

you could, you will need the carriers Mip/SIP settings, prl, imsi. sid, and carrier code. the only problem is as of now the RSD's dont have the matrix file to change or manipulate that information, you could get risky and use Qpst. I'm 100 Percent you could get it to make calls, 25-50% Data.

Could you please elaborate, I thought the Droid X was locked and that without cracking the bootloader a true unlock would be impossible.

If this other carrier is CDMA, unlocking is not the problem, you can force a phone to roam on any network if you wanted it to. The work is trying to get it to A. Do the over the air activation. B. trying to get the phone to recognize that carriers data settings to use it on their network.

The first major hurdle is if the other carrier has that phone in their device database, if not, if there is a generic ESN Database entry for smartphones.

If the other carrier is GSM, then you are out of luck.

If you can get me the carrier name, I can give you the details for the radio setup.

I am going India in few weeks and I want to Use My Motorola droid From Verizon, In India Please help me out I will probably use Reliance Telecom or Tata teleservices In India.

madash

Reaction score
I am going India in few weeks and I want to Use My Motorola droid From Verizon, In India Please help me out I will probably use Reliance Telecom or Tata teleservices In India.
Hey,

were you able to get it work in India...
if yes, what do I need to do...

Thanks

rafarataneneces

Reaction score
Hello
I am moving to Ecuador so I want to know if we can get back to the original objective of this thread

Over there Internet on cell phones is unstable, this is third world country and third world service

so no fancy Google voice redirect or have phone calls via internet or anything like that

In Ecuador, there is Allegro, that company uses CDMA.

Can the Droid X be unlocked?
Has anyone done that already?

I would like to know what model of the Droid is the easiest to unlock, from what I've heard you have to install your own bootloader and most bootloaders are encrypted now a days

Thanks for your reply

vzwtek

Reaction score
Hello
I am moving to Ecuador so I want to know if we can get back to the original objective of this thread

Over there Internet on cell phones is unstable, this is third world country and third world service

so no fancy Google voice redirect or have phone calls via internet or anything like that

I would like to know what model of the Droid is the easiest to unlock, from what I've heard you have to install your own bootloader and most bootloaders are encrypted now a days

Thanks for your reply

CDMA phones are not typically locked, again, the issue is if the device is loaded in their Device database. You could call the carrier to see if the phones serial number can be activated on their system, if so, then you can easily get voice going no problem. The only question is if they have EVDO, if they dont, you can still get data working through 1x, (its gonna be rough and slow, but its something) If they can activate it, you would typically find out what roaming system band they use, (A or B) then they will typically have an OTA activation system. usually a *228 variant like *22801 *22802 *22803 or *22804, etc.

rafarataneneces

Reaction score
Hello

Thanks for your reply

CDMA phones are not typically locked, again, the issue is if the device is loaded in their Device database. You could call the carrier to see if the phones serial number can be activated on their system, if so, then you can easily get voice going no problem. The only question is if they have EVDO, if they dont, you can still get data working through 1x, (its gonna be rough and slow, but its something) If they can activate it, you would typically find out what roaming system band they use, (A or B) then they will typically have an OTA activation system. usually a *228 variant like *22801 *22802 *22803 or *22804, etc.

I switched to T-Mobile

Thread can be closed as far as I'm concerned :)

Happy T-Mobile customer (a shame that AT&T bought them though)