Can Droid do multitrack audio?

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
I desperatley wish I had a 4 track audio recording app for my Droid. IPhone has a pretty nice one, but I can't find anything in the Android Market. Can Android/Droid hardware even do mutitrack audio recording/playback? Please?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

bapperton

Reaction score
Someone just needs to make the app...

Droid can definitely handle it.

OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
bapperton, What do you base this assertion on that Droid can "definitely handle it"? Yes, the processor is many times faster than my first computer I used for recording, but I'm sure there are RAM matters and how Android handles audio I/O, all of which I know nothing about.

I would be shocked that no one has built a multitrack app yet, if Droid can do it. I found a few threads floating around that seem to say Droid has hardware limitations, but no one really gives any evidence or "why".

Devs - if you can come up with a minimum 4 track recorder for my Droid that can bounce tracks, you have your first sale right here.

If there IS an app out there, why can't I find it???

bapperton

Reaction score
My grounds for saying that is that the iPhone has already done it with more limited hardware. Yes, I don't know how Android handles I/O, but I think I can safely assume that if iPhone can do it, Droid can, too.

Anyway, devs, I would be your second sale! haha.

Reaction score
I would really like to see any more developments on this as well.
I'm intrigued, to say at the least.

OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
I don't know if they just popped up, or if they've been there all along and I just found them:

Four Track Lite - lame but free. As far as I can tell only records at 11k, doesn't allow to mix levels, UI very very sparse. For free, to get an idea down in a pinch, marginally useable.

J4t something or other - under 4 dollars, records at 44.1k, allows levels mixing, adjust mic sensitivity, a few other things. UI is pretty polished. It looks better that it actually works, but not bad at all for what its meant to do. My choice for now.

Now I just need a way to plug in a mic that will do better than the phones internal mic.

FYI, use with headphones or the recording track picks up the speaker output and everything gets nasty quick.

This is a good start. I LOVE having a portable 4 track idea capturing tool!

Thanks!

OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
Oh yes, bouncing tracks is on my wishlist along with panning L/R. Built in effects? Oooooh this could get fun.

author

Reaction score
yeah, I'm up for four-track, too!

Android/Linux should have no problem ... Droid I/O, that's another question.

--Ralph

gitargar

Reaction score
Bullwinkle, check out "authors" post in the Audio/Video forum using a condenser mic w/ the Hi-Q mp3 recorder. There is an awesome XLR to 3.5mm adapter.

author

Reaction score
Bullwinkle, check out "authors" post in the Audio/Video forum using a condenser mic w/ the Hi-Q mp3 recorder. There is an awesome XLR to 3.5mm adapter.

also, using the XLR adapter, you could hook a mixer/compressor, etc. to the Droid and mix in several mikes ...

wouldn't be multitrack but would still be powerful.

as to multitrack, since the Droid is really a Linux server, no reason why someone could not write a multitrack recorder app ....

the I/O is still the problem but some sort of hardware multiplexing might work.

possibilities, possibilities. ;-)

--Ralph