Recording Internet Streaming Audio

Roland Stone

Reaction score
For a long time I've been looking for an app that will record streaming internet audio on my Droid. There are lots of apps that can do this for Windows Mobile or for iPhone.

For a long time I didn't think it was even possible for Android. But apparently it IS possible and there is at least one app in the market that can do it.

It's called Radio Rip:

Radio RIP ~ Android Application v2.2 By Spartacus Rex | Multimedia

I've tried it and it does work. It's got some limitations (mp3 streams only - no AAC), but its a good start towards what I'm looking for. What its missing is a timer/scheduler for unattended recording. I've written the developer "Spartacus Rex" but he's pretty close lipped about it. All I got out of him was "maybe soon".

As far as I can tell recording streaming audio is undocumented in the Android SDK (please correct me if I'm wrong.) If Spartacus Rex has figured it out, I wonder if anyone else around here knows how to do it?

Nblufire12

Reaction score
Is there a way to stream mp3's onto the internet similar to streaming video onto justin.tv?

thanks

OP
R

Roland Stone

Reaction score
Is there a way to stream mp3's onto the internet similar to streaming video onto justin.tv?

thanks

Yes I'm pretty sure I came across an app like that when I was looking for recorders, but I couldn't tell you the name of it right now. If I see it again I'll let you know.

I did find ANOTHER app that records streaming radio. It's pretty good too, but it still doesn't have a timed scheduler:

Broove Adore
http://web2.broov.in/downloads/BroovAdore_1.0.apk

Screaming

Reaction score
My cellphone is android, too. This app may be useful for android users but I used to record internet streaming audio on computer and then convert to my cellphone, because I get an app from my friend which can capture streaming music easily.
Btw, I’ll also try the Radio Rip someday.

Last edited:
D

DerrenBrown

Recording Internet streaming content from the Internet is a fairly straight forward task and has become easier over the years. Most computers today are better able to handle the rigors of recording, contain versatile sound cards and work seamlessly with most of the better software applications available.

Thanks a lot,
Derren

D

DerrenBrown

I have found that anything that streams through safari can also stream in the background. I use wunderRadio for streaming and its great. Its a large database of streams. It also has a stream in the background button which takes you to a wunderRadio page in safari for that stream. This way you click play close safari and it keeps streaming. It has the station you mentioned as well. But its not worth it if you only want to stream that station as you can stream that one for free.

Thanks in advance,
Derren

jd68

Reaction score
For a long time I've been looking for an app that will record streaming internet audio on my Droid. There are lots of apps that can do this for Windows Mobile or for iPhone.

For a long time I didn't think it was even possible for Android. But apparently it IS possible and there is at least one app in the market that can do it.

It's called Radio Rip:

Radio RIP ~ Android Application v2.2 By Spartacus Rex | Multimedia

I've tried it and it does work. It's got some limitations (mp3 streams only - no AAC), but its a good start towards what I'm looking for. What its missing is a timer/scheduler for unattended recording. I've written the developer "Spartacus Rex" but he's pretty close lipped about it. All I got out of him was "maybe soon".

As far as I can tell recording streaming audio is undocumented in the Android SDK (please correct me if I'm wrong.) If Spartacus Rex has figured it out, I wonder if anyone else around here knows how to do it?

This is without doubt the worst suggestion in the history of the internet. What a complete waste of £2.99 and an hour of my time. It simply doesn't work except for a tiny number of stations already linked up to it. It is utterly ****.