Can anyone explain why the SD card is only 8GB while Droids was 16?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know I just assumed it would be 16 gb like the Droid. And why not just take the 16 gb card out of the Droid and put it in the D2?

jynylr

Reaction score
Doesn't the Droid 2 have 8 GB of internal memory along with the 8GB sd card? I guess they figured the internal memory would compensate for the smaller sd card? :/

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But 8 + 8 still equals 16.

Is there any reason not to take the 16 gb card out of the Droid and put it in the D2. Because the last time I checked 16 + 8 equals 24.

Before I actually do this I want to know if I can. Logically I think I can.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
But 8 + 8 still equals 16.

Is there any reason not to take the 16 gb card out of the Droid and put it in the D2. Because the last time I checked 16 + 8 equals 24.

Before I actually do this I want to know if I can. Logically I think I can.

why wouldnt u be able to? cant they all support up to a 32 GB memory card?

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sdcard should work for anything that supports up to the determined capacity.

ReyZero

Reaction score
You could get a 32GB SD card, if you have the wallet.
I don't mind the 8, although I pulled my 8 from my Sirius Stiletto 2 that I owned YEARS ago and it was a class 4 card, versus the class 2 that comes with the Droid 2.
On a side note, checked the SD card from my other Droid 2 and the SD cards and they were different. Some had the product numbers on the front, and the other had it on the back. Both were SanDisk I believe, and class 2.

Syraz

Reaction score
Got my replacement droid today, and well it was a brand spankin new Droid 2, pulled that 8gb sd card out fast as I could and put in my 16gb from the droid, no problems to report on

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It looked like I had a lot of unnecessary stuff on my 16 gb card. I had taken a copy of it and put it on my desktop of my mac and now I'm restoring what I want in there, my music, pictures, that kind of stuff. I wanted to start out clean.

As you all said, no problem with doing it. I just wanted to make certain, I'm pretty computer literate and understand the concept of moving the SD card from one phone to another. But I just wanted to double check.

My download folder had garbage in it. I couldn't believe it.

R Droid

Reaction score
Every time you download something and then uninstall it, it leaves some garbage behind.

As long as your device can support that size card, it can be used in place of the 8 Gb.
They only put in a 8Gb for cost reasons. Think about the 10s of thousands of phones they put out there. It's all $$$

Hockey

Reaction score
So I suppose when/if I get the D2, I can go and completely delete/format my SD card (minus what I want) from my D1 and it won't hurt anything?

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I suppose when/if I get the D2, I can go and completely delete/format my SD card (minus what I want) from my D1 and it won't hurt anything?

Make a copy of it first and place it on your desktop of your computer. Then you can do it. There is stuff I'm sure you're going to want to keep like your pictures, music.

heath223

Reaction score
First off I am not techy. So my ? I have a D1 now and a D2 coming today, I have apps that I paid for and don't want to buy them again so is there a way to transfer them to my D2? I do plan on swapping the SD card to my D2 can I leave it as is or would I be better off the wipe it clean or just do some cleaning up of it?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
First off I am not techy. So my ? I have a D1 now and a D2 coming today, I have apps that I paid for and don't want to buy them again so is there a way to transfer them to my D2? I do plan on swapping the SD card to my D2 can I leave it as is or would I be better off the wipe it clean or just do some cleaning up of it?

paid apps will push back to the D2 from Google, When I got my X, I just took the sd from my Droid and put it in the X...no issues with that.

Silver Member
Reaction score
<--- out of hibernation (at least temporarily). So... I sent my D1 in for warranty and they sent me back a brand new D2. i did what hooky was talking about and swapped out my 8 for a 16.

just waiting for some ROMs now. this bloatware is nuts. hopefully someone figures out how to drop blur.