Move SD Card to New Droid 2

soxfan

Reaction score
Hello All,

I currently have a Droid with a 16 GB SD card. I am going to be upgrading to a Droid 2, which is coming through with an 8 GB SD card. What is the best / recommended procedure for moving the 16 GB card from the Droid to the Droid 2? Do I have to do something like backup data, format card, put card in Droid 2, and restore data; or can I put the card into the Droid 2 as is? If the "as is" method is OK what will happen with apps that I had moved from the phone to the SD card on the Droid? Will they just take up space or will they cause any conflicts when/if I re-install the app on the Droid 2? I'm guessing the phone won't simply recognize the apps on the card?

I searched around here and elsewhere, but all the information I found was either about upgrading / replacing an SD card or putting the SD card into a replacement phone of the same kind.

Thanks in advance,
John

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
10-4 there Xplorer. Once you unmount it by going Menu>Settings>SD Card & Phone Storage>Unmount SD card. You are safe to then move it to another device. Once its in the new device go to through the same process as above but click "mount sd card". Just DON'T FORMAT it.

(formatting the sd card: means you loose everything on it)

OP
S

soxfan

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses. I figured it was a straightforward swap, but would rather be safe than sorry.

John

Reaction score
I personally would copy my music and pictures off the card, format it (with the computer), put it into the new phone, format it again (through the phone menu) then copy my music and pictures back to it. Too much random junk on there, and different phones (even in the same line) format things in different ways. Just my $.02.

OP
S

soxfan

Reaction score
I personally would copy my music and pictures off the card, format it (with the computer), put it into the new phone, format it again (through the phone menu) then copy my music and pictures back to it. Too much random junk on there, and different phones (even in the same line) format things in different ways. Just my $.02.
Yeah, this is kind of what I ended up doing. I got my new phone in yesterday morning and at that point there were no responses to my post. I guess I got a little impatient. It was easy enough to copy off the stuff I wanted to keep around (music, pics, and a few other files). I figured the other stuff on there from programs and whatnot would be wasted space at best, and could potentially cause issues. The only difference from what you've suggested is that I formatted it through the Settings menu on the old phone. Seems to be working OK so far.

Thanks again,
John