What size of SD card?

duncan0553

Reaction score
Does anyone know the max size of Micro SD card to use on the new MaXX. I know that it comes with a 16 GB card but wanted to upgrade it to a 32 GB card, if it will work.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
A 32 GB card will work just fine. Officially, 32GB is the maximum size supported.

However, I have a 64GB card in mine, and it works great.

OP
duncan0553

duncan0553

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. Best Buy has a 32 GB micro on sale today for $30. Is there anything special I need to do to change the card out for the larger one. I just moved all my music over to the sd card off the internal storage to save some space. I jsut I need to move it back to internal storage then change out the cards and move it back to the new card?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Ok thanks for the info. Best Buy has a 32 GB micro on sale today for $30. Is there anything special I need to do to change the card out for the larger one. I just moved all my music over to the sd card off the internal storage to save some space. I jsut I need to move it back to internal storage then change out the cards and move it back to the new card?

That's one way to do it if you have enough internal storage to temporarily hold all of your files. You could transfer everything from the old card to a computer, and then transfer your files from the computer to the new card. Either way will work.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Be sure to format any new SD card in the device its going to ve used in BEFORE you install data for optimum performance :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
duncan0553

duncan0553

Reaction score
how do I format it? I was going to take the old one out and put in my laptop and copy all the music files over to the laptop, then insert new card and transfer the music over to it, then put new card in MaXX. Is there something else I should do?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
To format the card, if its an old card, copy all the files off of it first, then you inset it into the maxx or razr, go into storage, go all the way to the bottom, select unmount, then format.

When you install the SD card it will automatically mount, so you have to unmount and select format on a new card too.

BE SURE YOU'RE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE STORAGE SECTION OR YOU WILL BE MESSING WITH THE INTERNAL SD CARD NOT SDCARD-EXT..... AND YOURE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME!! ;)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
A 32 GB card will work just fine. Officially, 32GB is the maximum size supported.

However, I have a 64GB card in mine, and it works great.

I also run 64's

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
32gb and go for a class 4. I don't have the link but tests were done class 4 is the best for phones

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
32gb and go for a class 4. I don't have the link but tests were done class 4 is the best for phones

I've heard this too... 6 and up are great for cameras because they have a higher transfer rate.

But I run 64 gig class 10 scan disk cards.. I like over kill though :D

OP
duncan0553

duncan0553

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and for saving me some cash, allways a good thing. Lots of time and money saving things on this site. I just ordered it off amazon.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Lol is there such thing as too much space?
What do you fill up your 64's with?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Lol is there such thing as too much space?
What do you fill up your 64's with?

Nope. As far as I'm concerned, there's never such a thing as too much space when we're talking about storage for a phone, tablet, or computer. I have less than 1GB free on my 64GB card, and I only have that much free because it kept giving me an annoying low volume storage notification. If I had a 128GB card, it would be full too. Mine is filled mostly with music, videos, and a ton of documents.