Can an Android phone play a movie through a TV?

flyingsushi

Reaction score
Wondering, I have a droid X and can't seem to play movies on my phone to the tv using the usb connector.

Can the latest droid phones play movies from the phone to the TV?

Thanks,
Sushi

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Never tried that method, but I don't think it works that way, the TV doesn't have the proper drivers.

You can play it through an HDMI connection, you'll just need an MHL adapter.

xtor

Reaction score
I have movies on my old dx, and i play movies on my tv all the time with hdmi cable, works great!

point of origin

wcjeep

Reaction score
With the DX, HDMI only to play movies on flatscreen TV. Some TVs can see the movies on the phone thru USB and play the movies. This is very hit and miss.

Natey2

Reaction score
Some TVs can see the movies on the phone thru USB and play the movies. This is very hit and miss.

You mean the TV treats the phone as a USB storage device and can browse files on the phone?

Quick

Reaction score
I've got a Vizio TV.
It has HDMI input. (and usb, and ethernet and wireless -- no bluetooth though
Won't it work as a monitor?

(it's got apps, netflix, rapsody, etc. etc. Wonder if it's running Android?)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You mean the TV treats the phone as a USB storage device and can browse files on the phone?
Many of the newer TVs are capable of playing usb flash drives, however, I never thought about connecting my phone. I always thought that the TV didn't have the proper drivers. I'll try it when I get home, but realistically I don't have any reason:D

Spey

Reaction score
As possibly alternative to USB/HDMI wired connections >>

I believe the Droid X is DLNA equipped, which should allow you to (looks at things displayed on your device on TV) play movies wirelessly over a network provided the TV is also DLNA capable. Example: I cue up a photo, movie, etc. on RAZR M and can select Samsung Flatscreen as playback device to see/watch on large screen. gMote.apk functions this way also (possibly not requiring DLNA capable devices though ...?), along with a number of other options like using device as keyboard for big-screen, using device as mouse-glide-pad for large screen, using device as remote control for large screen.

Great options to show a group something that's on your device.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1354846511587.jpg

I know the note 2, s3, and RAZR can but you have to buy accessories.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Natey2

Reaction score
Many of the newer TVs are capable of playing usb flash drives, however, I never thought about connecting my phone. I always thought that the TV didn't have the proper drivers. I'll try it when I get home, but realistically I don't have any reason:D

I just hooked up my DroidX to my Sony HDTV. It found and allowed me to navigate thru the DroidX storage media, and played .jpg pics and .mp3 recordings on it.
Plays .mpg movies too.

cobraa

Reaction score
Mirror mode

On my Motorola x2 I have a Mirror Mode. By attaching an HDMI cable from phone to tv I can play photos,videos,downloaded movies,gaming,web.

diablo81588

Reaction score
Re: Bionic won't turn on

The droid x has a micro HDMI port. You just need an appropriate cable. Micro HDMI to standard HDMI. If I remember correctly the droid x cannot do mirror mode, just one screen at a time. Either the phone screen or the TV, but not both.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

dannysouth31789

Reaction score

That's would be correct. Samsung Smart TV's will just treat your device as a usb storage when hooked up through the mini usb. Lets you browse pics, vids, and music and just click to play.

wcjeep

Reaction score
That's would be correct. Samsung Smart TV's will just treat your device as a usb storage when hooked up through the mini usb. Lets you browse pics, vids, and music and just click to play.

Some LG TV's will do the same.