Camera questions re Motorola Droid. Does the camera work properly?

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
1. I've read that the camera does not focus or work well. Is this true or are the reviewers using the camera improperly?

2. Can you set focus distance from macro to infinity?

3. Can you zoom with the camera?

4. Can you control aperature?

5. Will any of these functions be available as apps?

6. Can you compare the Droid camera to the Iphone 3gs?

Your comments re the camera.

Last edited:

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
1) yup, auto focus sucks most of the time. i think one of the OTA updates is supposed to address something with the camera autofocus, don't know if it will fix it though

2) yes, you can set focus to infinity or macro. I leave mine on infinity as it seems to take much better pictures than autofocus

3) I haven't found a way to do so, but even if you could it would be digital zoom only, so you can always just crop the picture afterwords (thats all digital zoom does anyway from what i know)

4) don't think so

5) haven't seen any specific camera apps (haven't looked either) but if there is a need, somebody will make it

6) sorry, i don't have an iphone handy to do my own tests, and most of the ones i've seen online are problamatic due to the autofocus issue.

OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
If the problem is in the Auto Focus mode, can you disconnect "Auto Focus" and switch to "Manual Focus"?

Can you focus the Droid like the iphone 3gs by dragging around a focus box?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well the other thing that's wrong is the light sensor, i don't think this is a hardware problem just another software, it was pointed out a couple times in other threads. So we shall see what dec.11 brings

OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
How can a top of the line, cutting edge, smart camera phone be sold while still having problems?

Is the idea to get it sold and you can always fix the minor problems later...?

ArmandP

Reaction score
2. Can you set focus distance from macro to infinity?

3. Can you zoom with the camera?

4. Can you control aperature?

My X's camera focuses perfectly...auto focus works flawlessly. Macro is one of the "Scenes", fantastic for taking super close-up photo work such as detail in flowers, etc. Your volume rocker is the camera's zoom. There's nothing in the Settings of the camera that specifically states, "Aperture", but there is an "Exposure" setting, selectable from -3 to +3. There is also an "ISO equivalency sensitivity" setting, which would be commensurate with analog "film speed" such as 100 ISO, 200 ISO, etc.

The grasshopper photo below was taken with my Droid X on "Auto" two nights ago while I was at work. That's not even Macro...wish I had thought of putting it in Macro mode, but this is one of the coolest, most detailed pics I have ever taken with a phone!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

eliassami5

Reaction score
1. Its a camera phone..it focuses the best it can, and yes it works well most of the time. If you are taking shots of tiny objects then it might not work too well.

2. yes, auto, macro, and infinity

3. yes, 4x DIGITAL zoom

4. no, only exposure

5. there are many camera apps that lets you add effects, not sure if they will allow you to set aperture or other fine settings tho.

6. Droid beats iPhones camera hands down in good lighting conditions, iPhone's camera is better in low light conditions.