camera lens cover/ scratches/ plastic?

IHOPETHISWORKS!

Reaction score
i haven't seen anybody really address this issue. i just got my droid and have not taken a pic yet, but noticed some small marks on the lens cover that won't come out/off ! micro-scratches? whatever they are, has anyone had this happen, and does it affect the picture quality? the lens cover is totally unprotected and is subject to get seriously marked up! at some point photo quality must be affected if the the lens is clouded by marks on the cover? anyone? :motdroidhoriz:

x25064

Reaction score
It shouldn't affect the picture quality of the phone in the least. I've seen cameras covered with dust still take half-way decent pictures. In my experience with owning several Env models (V to Touch) with similar lens styles, you'd be hard pressed to actually scratch your lens to a point where it will make a difference anyway.

The answer might be to get a phone case to at least somewhat protect your lens. This won't protect direct poking but it should at least provide a slight height difference so that keys, cards, whathaveyou won't run a huge scratch across the back of your phone and the lens. The other solution is to purchase a pouch or holster that completely covers the back side of the phone, but of course then you'd have to take the phone out of it every time to use it.

The ultimate answer really is just make sure that your droid is the only thing in your pocket, and if you are a girl who carries a purse, make sure the droid isn't in it.

On a side note, I wouldn't worry too much about photo quality as our phones are quite lackluster in that department unfortunately. Oh well can't win em all. =)

OP
IHOPETHISWORKS!

IHOPETHISWORKS!

Reaction score
It shouldn't affect the picture quality of the phone in the least. I've seen cameras covered with dust still take half-way decent pictures. In my experience with owning several Env models (V to Touch) with similar lens styles, you'd be hard pressed to actually scratch your lens to a point where it will make a difference anyway.

The answer might be to get a phone case to at least somewhat protect your lens. This won't protect direct poking but it should at least provide a slight height difference so that keys, cards, whathaveyou won't run a huge scratch across the back of your phone and the lens. The other solution is to purchase a pouch or holster that completely covers the back side of the phone, but of course then you'd have to take the phone out of it every time to use it.

The ultimate answer really is just make sure that your droid is the only thing in your pocket, and if you are a girl who carries a purse, make sure the droid isn't in it.

On a side note, I wouldn't worry too much about photo quality as our phones are quite lackluster in that department unfortunately. Oh well can't win em all. =)
thanks, it's screwed, just a matter of time! speaking of lackluster i thought that looking through the camera display? that the image i was seeing was going to be the pic! yuk! indoors though? what about the video quality? i haven't seen it. is it better than my i-pod nano!?:)

x25064

Reaction score
Haven't really messed around with the video on my phone as of yet. Honestly I hardly use video from cellphones due to horrible audio quality.

I have a cybershot camera for any video recording situations i might be in. As far as stacking it against the nano I reaaally couldn't tell you since technically I've used neither =P

dreg

Reaction score
video quality

I took some action video of my son playing outdoors in bright sun and was blown away by the quality as played back on the droid.

granitemon

Reaction score
The covering surrounding the lense is made of a different material than the lense. I too freaked the first time I noticed these tiny scratches.

At the time, I had an old droid (had just gotten a replacement due to another issue.) So, not caring that much if I screwed it up, I decided to put it to the test. I started off gently, and finally I worked up to using a pocket knife, and applying quite a bit of pressure, attempting to leave any kind of a mark Result? NO SCRATCHES AT ALL!

Also should mention that I performed the same torture test with the screen. Again no scratches.

So I stopped buying those damn screen protectors. My rationale, if anything is going to be sharp enough to scratch the screen, the thin piece of plastic would not protect it anyway.

So, go ahead and quit buying those screen protectors, (they're expensive, they get scratched up, and they dull the beautiful display,) and enjoy your naked droid!