camera close-ups in dark setting

mchoffa

Reaction score
I came across something else that sucks about this camera. I didn't see this posted anywhere else, so sorry if it's been covered. I tried taking some pictures in our dimly lit living room tonight... not only are the pics grainy (which I expected since this camera sucks for darker shots) but there is a weird shadow over most of the picture. the closer i am to the subject, the further up the shadow is... both LEDs are working, i took a pic of myself to test, and nothing is in the way... when the light comes on when you hold the button in halfway to focus, the scene is completely lit up, but when it takes the pic, this happens... tried it on my wife's Droid as well, exactly the same thing... this picture was taken from about a foot away from the cat

20091111222157.jpg

:mad:

OP
M

mchoffa

Reaction score
i meant i also took a pic of myself after this to make sure the lights were both flashing...

and I know enough about cameras to know my crappy samsung flip phone that I had 4 years ago took better pictures at night, including closeups and macros...

I LOVE this phone and glad i didnt switch to AT&T for the iPhone, but I am so disappointed in the camera... like I said, my old samsung took better night/dark/closeup/macro pics...

OP
M

mchoffa

Reaction score
and i also did a few test shots putting my finger partially blocking the light and/or lense and the opposite effect happens, I get a really bright finger reflection with a dark background...

oh well, the camera is not something I use a whole lot, that's why I have a Nikon... but it was supposed to be a big plus, and something they even made a big deal about in the iDon't commercials... it should be one of the best phone cameras on the market, but it's not...

I just hope the dec 11 update makes still shots look as good as video...