camera totally useless in dark tell me something new

angelman

Reaction score
I know this subject has been discussed ad nauseam but I was wondering if maybe there was something actually wrong with my camera. if the scene is not very brightly lit the image is almost completely dark. what's strange is that if I point it at a bright light and then quickly move it to the dark area I can see it exposed much brighter before it adjusts the exposure much darker. its like he exposure is just wrong its as if its trying to expose for he brightest area rather than dark areas. I can't understand why here is not a manual exposure function. the night mode suggests it might expose for night but it appears to do nothing. the update did nothing much for my camera. I often find camera crashes especially in movie mode. I think he hardware an cope because you can see it expose correctly for brief moments

JayMonster

Reaction score
It seems the first "fix" to the camera was solely to fix the autofocus bug and that is about it. The hardware is clearly capable, if you have the patience to tinker (a lot) you can get some decent shots in low light, but it take far more work (and luck) than it should. I would expect a firrmware update (or two) to address some of these issues in the next update or two.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just to easy to please. Maybe it's because my first smart phone was a Storm, but I think the camera does a great job in low light.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Low light pictures def. don't equal my 'well' lit pictures... but they're still good :)
lower levels of light do affect the Droid's camera... hopefully an update helps

famac!

Reaction score
It sucks big time. In rooms that are not that well lit, i see nothing but darkness on screen. I can't even see the picture i am about to take.

JayMonster

Reaction score
It sucks big time. In rooms that are not that well lit, i see nothing but darkness on screen. I can't even see the picture i am about to take.

And just how do you propose they add light to a scene that doesn't have sufficient light to illuminate the scene on the screen? Until the flash fires, in a dark location, the screen can only show what it sees. That is true of any camera.

Laurence5905

Reaction score

I have found, in many situations, you actually can't see the pic before you take it. But when you take it, the flash goes off, and the scene is lit.

Nothing I've tried has fixed the poor pic-quality in low-light, but none of them show up 100% dark -- even the ones that look 100% dark before they're taken.

famac!

Reaction score

And just how do you propose they add light to a scene that doesn't have sufficient light to illuminate the scene on the screen? Until the flash fires, in a dark location, the screen can only show what it sees. That is true of any camera.

It sucks. Some of you will defend anything. This is not the first camera phone i have used. In situations where the lightning is normal, the Droid will show a very dark picture on screen. When the room is slightly below normal light, the screen is damn nearly completely dark.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It sucks. Some of you will defend anything. This is not the first camera phone i have used. In situations where the lightning is normal, the Droid will show a very dark picture on screen. When the room is slightly below normal light, the screen is damn nearly completely dark.

I think he's just saying that if you're in a dark room/area... the display will obviously be dark since there is no light to pick up. Nothing to do with the quality of the photo.... which we all know is crappy with low light.

famac!

Reaction score

I think he's just saying that if you're in a dark room/area... the display will obviously be dark since there is no light to pick up. Nothing to do with the quality of the photo.... which we all know is crappy with low light.

Well, that is obviously common sense. Dark rooms will produce a dark screen. However, this is not the first camera phone i have used. Even rooms that are not that dark produce on screen images that are really dark to the point of not been able to see what you are about to snap. The pic that comes out after the snap is of course not that dark.

RubberSoul

Reaction score
I tried taking pictures of my family christmas last night around the pool in a hotel. (def not Low light, not high light either) and out of the 20 some pictures I tried taking...zero came out. I love the phone, but the camera is horrible. Only good for taking pictures of things that are still, in daylight. Dont try taking a picture of a kid that might move slightly.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried taking pictures of my family christmas last night around the pool in a hotel. (def not Low light, not high light either) and out of the 20 some pictures I tried taking...zero came out. I love the phone, but the camera is horrible. Only good for taking pictures of things that are still, in daylight. Dont try taking a picture of a kid that might move slightly.

I've taken pictures of my cats. Several of them. True if they are moving rapidly I get a blurred shot but in normal movement I'm amazed at how good the picture looks.

magdream

Reaction score
my wife's cousin was over for christmas eve with his new eris. he took a couple of pics that simply looked great. I didn't dare try to take any with my droid. 'nuff said.

brochaos

Reaction score
yea in low light my sis' eris pics with no flash look better than mine with flash.

can you guys check the EXIF data? my pics with flash still have a shutter of 1/10, which is just too slow.