Caller ID voice announcement

Inspector Gadget

Reaction score
The caller ID function on my phone refuses to announce the incoming call by name even though the caller is listed in my contacts. The on screen display shows the correct name of the caller but the voice on the ear piece only announces the digits of the number instead of the callers’ name.

DROID2
Ver: 2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US
Jawbone Icon

TIA
Scott

Fenway72

Reaction score
I have a droid 2 and had no idea it even voices callers at all. How do you do that? I see no option for voice.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
Inspector Gadget

Inspector Gadget

Reaction score
Hey Fenway,

Settings/Call Settings/Caller ID Readout/Caller ID Then Ring

Hope this helps. Now I need to find out how to add a custom ring tone to the "Notification ringtone library". Adding tones to the phone library seems fairly easy but I don't have access to edit the notifications list.

Scott

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Learn something new every day. Thanks, Scott. Didn't realize the D2 had that feature. The Droid 1 doesn't have it, I believe, unless it came with an upgrade. I wanted it on my D1 and there was an app, but the dumb thing talked while the ringtone was playing, and I couldn't understand the name that was announced.
To respond to your original post, is it possible that you have the same phone number for more than one person?
Are there any symbols in the name that the voice can't recognize, like John & Mary Doe?
Could the same person be listed in your contacts twice, with slight changes in spelling?
Are your names sorted by First Name first, or Last Name first?
Just guessing.
Just set my phones up with voice announce and it works as expected, and without that annoying added "mobile" after the name that my VX8700 had. haven't tried it with many different callers yet.

Last edited:

errolcw

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Inspector.

Do you know of a fix that will allow ID announcement through a Bluetooth Headset (Jawbone Prime)?

OP
Inspector Gadget

Inspector Gadget

Reaction score
I've been playing with the caller ID voice announcement function off and on for a few weeks now and it appears that the disconnect I am experiencing falls squarely in Jawbone's court. The phone indeed announces by name who the caller is through the phone speaker. With the Jawbone however the announcement in your earpiece is the number of the caller and not their name. I guess it's time to tell Jawbone that their product needs a software upgrade so that it can compete with a $35 LG earpiece that can perform this function.

TTFN

Scott

errolcw

Reaction score
Scott,

I can't even get the number to announce. I, too, can get the name to announce on the phone speaker, but on the jawbone (I have a prime) I only get a ringtone. How did you get it to give you the number calling?

Errol

docfong

Reaction score
Is there an app you can download to do this?
It is not in the Fission ROM

wilsonjr70

Reaction score
Hi.
Could any of you guys make this work. I am using a ScalaRider G4 on my Helmet and I would like to hear the caller id announcemnts instead of the ringtone.