Browser issues

greycobalt

Reaction score
Earlier today I opened a link from the Gmail app, and since then, my browser hasn't returned to portrait mode no matter what I do. I restarted the phone a few times, and nothing worked. Can't figure out what the deal is.

Also, the browser has been having a ton of crashes lately (force closes), and I can't figure out what's causing them. My phone is rooted, but only to remove bloatware. It doesn't have ROMs or any random flashed things on it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
How long after you removed the bloatware did this start happening?

DroidForums junkie!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What type of maintenance have you done for the browser? Have you cleaned cache and cookies?

OK then the next thing I would try is download Dolphin. See if you still have issues.

If that fails then you probably need to do a Factory Data Reset. Now that will cost you your data and you probably will lose your free apps, but it will let you know if there is a defect in the phone or if there is an app screwing around with it.

And of course if you are running any task killers or antivirus get rid of it.

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
I'm not running a task killer, but I am running the AVG program and the memory management app. Could those be doing something?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The memory management app doesn't work, but it won't harm like a task killer. I don't see any harm there. But Antivirus, specially AVG is a huge resource hog. Get rid of it.

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
Ok, will do. Like I said, no experience in this operating system or with smartphones, so I didn't even know if antivirus is needed. Are there just random viruses out there?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not a single one. It's difficult to make a virus for linux as opposed to Windows. Now I'm not saying it can't be done but it simply isn't a target for virus anymore then the iPhone would be. Malware, yes, that's possible. That's why you need to see what the app you download is doing with your phone before you start using it.

You may still need to do a factory data reset but definitely get rid of the antivirus.