Browser Defaulting to Mobile View Instead of Desktop??

Auditor_Kevin

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm stumped on this one, so I'm helping you can help. The stock browser on the Droid X sends many of my favorite websites to their mobile site instead of the standard one (case in point: Chicago Tribune).

I loath the stark and barren mobile sites. I know in Opera, there was an option that made the browser appear to be a desktop browser to websites instead of automatically forcing a re-route to the mobile site.

Is there any way to do this with the stock Droix X browser??

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

kdkinc

Reaction score
i use another browser.
try dolphin hd and it may help you out.

Last edited:
OP
A

Auditor_Kevin

Reaction score
Cool. I'll definitely give it a shot.

Does anyone know how to change the default android browser so it shows up as a desktop?

I'd like to keep my options open if I don't like Dolphin.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
I just downloaded Dolphin HD, and holy cow, I think I am in love! It looks more crisp than the stock browser, much more friendly it appears too! Thanks for recommending that browser!

OP
A

Auditor_Kevin

Reaction score
Anyone aware of a solution/workaround for this?

I can't be the only person annoyed with it force-kicks us over to the bare bones mobile version of a website...........

Matrices

Reaction score
I was experiencing the same issue as the OP, but went ahead and tried out Dolphin, and wow... that is a nice browser. I set the User Agent to 'Desktop' and restarted and voila... worked like a champ. Does anyone know if the 'paid' version offers anything special. I see that there's even another addon for a password app. I'm a long-time fan of RoboForm on my Windows boxes, and use LastPass (since it imports RoboForm data) on my Linux boxes. Can anyone comment on the password app for Dolphin pls?

garath

Reaction score

I can't be the only person annoyed with it force-kicks us over to the bare bones mobile version of a website...........

I believe you navigate to

about:debug

and can change the default view to desktop. However, this only lasts as long as the window is open. It's not a good solution. Using another browser is the only option at this point.

Matrices

Reaction score

I believe you navigate to

about:debug

and can change the default view to desktop. However, this only lasts as long as the window is open. It's not a good solution. Using another browser is the only option at this point.

Yeah, you are absolutely correct. I tried that prior to Dolphin, and I believe the setting was 'UAString' that you had to set to Desktop. It did clear that availability as soon as the browser window was closed, and it seemed to be hit or miss for me for a site working as I had anticipated it working. Kind of cumbersome to have to do that each time you want to browse in Desktop mode.