BREAKING: Motorola Unlocks Your Device Via "Unlock My Device"

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
But it didn't negatively affect the network. The only thing that happened was inexperienced people bricking their devices. And then we got recovery images which allowed for a full recovery. The further we went along with the Android game, the more experience we gained and knowledge learned, therefore bricking happens less. But, since the introduction of bootloaders (even though they were planned from day one), bricking became easier. Lack of bootloaders allows for easier recovery. I still don't see how it negatively impacts the network. I don't see how modding our phones is bad.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

I'm not saying that it negatively impacts the network, just that using the unlocked state of the original Droid isn't the best example in regards to Verizon allowing unlocked devices and not threatening to cancel. They only allowed the original Droid to be unlocked out of necessity. They would have locked it up if they could have.

However, the shear number of original Droids that were and still are active on the network is definitely a good example of how unlocked devices don't hurt the network.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Wouldn't there be a way to keep VZW from "pinging" our device and finding out if we have changed things around?

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I'm not saying that it negatively impacts the network, just that using the unlocked state of the original Droid isn't the best example in regards to Verizon allowing unlocked devices and not threatening to cancel. They only allowed the original Droid to be unlocked out of necessity. They would have locked it up if they could have.

However, the shear number of original Droids that were and still are active on the network is definitely a good example of how unlocked devices don't hurt the network.

I wasn't saying you said that, I'm quoting VZW when I say that. And yes, the number of D1s still active is astonishing and a great example of that.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
As others have said it's quite interesting that VZ will disconnect you for unlocking Moto devices, yet you can have a dev edition Samsung or an unlocked HTC handset. Seems like grounds for a class-action suit, though of course I doubt that there are enough people willing to sign on for that or too many lawyers who would see it as being worthwhile. Strange that Moto would put up with it because regular users could care less; it's those of us who mod our phones who are interested and this basically makes Moto's unlock tool a useless item. I'm sure devs will find a way to exploit this and make something happen, but Moto is making itself look like VZ's play thing.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I'm not arguing that it makes sense nor am I in favor of it. I'm just saying that if Verizon wants to they can. They are not required or are they limited to do any one particular thing. And they can do different things. It's in the contract and they own the business.

It's called a free market. You get the benefits of other carriers but you have to deal with their crap when they have crap.

themuttt

Reaction score
I'm not arguing that it makes sense nor am I in favor of it. I'm just saying that if Verizon wants to they can. They are not required or are they limited to do any one particular thing. And they can do different things. It's in the contract and they own the business.

It's called a free market. You get the benefits of other carriers but you have to deal with their crap when they have crap.
Again with the free market, they can do it, but it could become a PR nightmare. Plenty of sites like this would pick it up start the whole thing rolling, then it would hit sites like CNN and it would really get going. I still say it is a scare tactic

robert70

Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
What is a bootloader ?

In literal terms, bootloader is code that is executed before any Operating System starts to run. The concept of bootloaders is universal to virtually all Operating systems that inculcates operating systems on your PC, laptop, smartphones, and other such devices. Bootloaders basically package the instructions to boot operating system kernel and most of them also have their own debugging or modification environment. As the bootloader kicks off before any piece of software on your device, it makes it extremely processor specific and every motherboard has it’s own bootloader. This is one reason that all Android phones have different Custom ROMS developed due to high variance of processing hardware present on the device. The iDevices running iOS somewhat share the same hardware specs and hence you don’t see much variance in their bootloaders.

Full article here: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-bootloader-and-how-to-unlock-bootloader-on-android-phones-complete-guide/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Syndicate!! Now I get it,, that's kind of what I was thinking, bit wanted to make sure I was right.

Sent from my wicked sharp razr!

skennelly

Reaction score

But it is also a good example of how it negatively affects Verizon's pocket. They can't force you into their shared data plans if you keep your unlocked phone 4 years after your contract has expired. This whole deal is about money. Not to mention, we have always paid a "subsidized" price for a new phone. $200 upfront for a $600 phone, but part of our monthly payment over 24 months pays the other $400. If you keep a phone longer than 24 months without upgrading then you are over paying for your service because part of that payment is going towards that new subsidized phone that you NEVER purchased. If Verizon can keep phones locked, then they can force people who want the newest OS to upgrade. This way they can still charge the same monthly fee and get you off of unlimited data and into a tiered/shared data plan.

Sent from my unlocked GTab 2 running CM10

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
skennelly said:
But it is also a good example of how it negatively affects Verizon's pocket. They can't force you into their shared data plans if you keep your unlocked phone 4 years after your contract has expired. This whole deal is about money. Not to mention, we have always paid a "subsidized" price for a new phone. $200 upfront for a $600 phone, but part of our monthly payment over 24 months pays the other $400. If you keep a phone longer than 24 months without upgrading then you are over paying for your service because part of that payment is going towards that new subsidized phone that you NEVER purchased. If Verizon can keep phones locked, then they can force people who want the newest OS to upgrade. This way they can still charge the same monthly fee and get you off of unlimited data and into a tiered/shared data plan.

This.

They only care about the network being negatively impacted if it hurts their profits.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
This.

They only care about the network being negatively impacted if it hurts their profits.

Like I said before, it'll keep me from upgrading. That's why they say that bull.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
So far tmobile is the only one with the pay full price and youll get a lower monthly bill plan....

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

themuttt

Reaction score

but you are still paying for a subsidized phone long after the phone is paid for. Either way VZW is winning in the greenback category

Droid Kain

Reaction score
UPDATE: We just got off the phone with Verizon and they said that IF they detect the device has been unlocked they will take the device off their network. Reason: "Modifying software will potentially negatively impact how the phone connects with the network. The addition of unapproved software could also negatively impact the wireless experience for other customers."

Can they really 'detect' that a device has an unlocked bootloader short of physically taking your phone out of your hands and rebooting it?
Also, how do they explain, or tell the difference between the OG Droid having an unlocked bootloader?
So, for the sake of 'promoting Android devices', it was okay to have an unlocked bootloader back then...but now that Android is so popular, an unlocked bootloader could "negatively impact how the phone connects with the network".
Way to go VZW, you guys really need to make up your mind.

BigZig

Reaction score
themuttt said:
how can it be modifying your device from it's manufacturers specification if the manufacturer is the one supplying the modification? I think, like others, that it is just a scare tactic from VZW

Because the manufacturer is telling you that modifying this specification voids your warranty. It's not what came on/with the phone from the factory . The manufacturer is just giving you the option to modify your device not forcing you to. So its your choice to void your warranty and Verizon has a loop hole in the contract to be able to cancel on you. But i do agree with you that they will not act on this empty threat.

Spyder5157

Reaction score
I know this was discussed quite a bit, but I just want to really simplify the answer (Hopefully)....So I ask..."It states that IF (AGAIN IF) Verizon detects it has been unlocked it will be taken off the network".

SO, I'm just asking?? Can they/will they get any kind of signal or anything, or anyway (Like when you root) be able to tell if it's unlocked, or would it be just stupid luck that they discovered it's unlocked???

Sorry for the "Stupid" question...But, As I put in another thread, All along Motorola has been able to tell if your rooted, just that info was not passed to Verizon, (until now with this Is it rooted thing they are doing......IS there anyway for them to ping the device and see???

THANKS.....S