Breaking even with car charger?

recDNA

Reaction score
Whenever I get in my car I connect to charger and put tbolt on vent holder. If I keep the screen on all the charger does is break even!! If I shut off screen it might go from 75% to 80% in an hour. Is that typical? It charges fast enough on ac but terrible in car.

johnd09

Reaction score
Your charger may be too small, mine charges faster on my car charger than with the ac charger.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I noticed this when I would try to charge my Droid 1 with the car charger as well. I never looked to see if the car and AC charger were putting out the same amount of juice to the phone or not. When I charge it with my computer, it's a little slower than AC, but not as slow as the car charger.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
Your charger may be too small, mine charges faster on my car charger than with the ac charger.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

What is too small? Isnt it direct 12v dc?

Reaction score
USB operates at 5 volts. The charger converts the vehicle's 12 volts down to 5 volts. A voltage higher than 5 would destroy your phone.

The stock AC charger puts out 5 volts at 1 amp of current. You need a car charger that puts out 1 amp of current or more.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
Is there a way to measure current of charger with a multimeter? Would it be the top and bottom of the plug?

Fruity Pebbles

Reaction score
You pretty much have to use the genuine HTC charger to get 1 amp (fast) charging with the Thunderbolt. On non-HTC chargers that are capable of 1 amp or more the Thunderbolt will only pull 0.5 amp.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
Any idea where i can get the cheapest price?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what the phone temp too. I was using GPS with the D1 in the windshield mount and noticed the phone wasn't charging. It got warm enough that it would not charge. A few of the battery widgets displays temp too. I think the cutoff point was around 120-125 degrees. Once I saw what was happening I moved the phone out of the sun. Sun + turn by Turn GPS navigation running with maps displayed + Charging = too hot.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
Mine is freezing cold with the air conditioner on. It sits right on the ac vent.

Last edited:
OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
Does it have to be the stock tbolt charger or are all the htc car chargers 1 amp?

mat1583

Reaction score
After doing a little bit of research, I bought the Motorola Micro-USB charger . I've used the step by step GPS navigation with the display on, and it will still charge the phone. The charger's max output is 950mA, and the TB's max input charge is 1A (1000mA). That's pretty darn good. It has nearly 600 reviews on Amazon with a 4.5 star rating, so you really can't go wrong with this one!

ssleepyz

Reaction score
After doing a little bit of research, I bought the Motorola Micro-USB charger . I've used the step by step GPS navigation with the display on, and it will still charge the phone. The charger's max output is 950mA, and the TB's max input charge is 1A (1000mA). That's pretty darn good. It has nearly 600 reviews on Amazon with a 4.5 star rating, so you really can't go wrong with this one!

Got that exact one and plugged it in on Friday, charged pretty damn fast! Well worth the $4 I paid :)