Bootstrap Questions ?

METAL MUZZLE

Reaction score
I have a couple of Noob questions about Bootstrap as this is my first attempt at loading a rom to my Droid X - from what I understand I need bootstrap and a Rom manager (Im rooted with Z4) ? when I install a rom it says to make a system recovery with bootstrap - when I wipe my phone do I loose all my contacts,apps,photos,videos etc ? or can i load them back somehow from the recovery ? do I need to transfer my pics and videos to a external source like my PC or a jump drive ? Thanx in advance for assistance !

I have been on this forum for about a week now and any question I have had you guys have helped alot with and I appreciate that very much !!!

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of Noob questions about Bootstrap as this is my first attempt at loading a rom to my Droid X - from what I understand I need bootstrap and a Rom manager (Im rooted with Z4) ? when I install a rom it says to make a system recovery with bootstrap - when I wipe my phone do I loose all my contacts,apps,photos,videos etc ? or can i load them back somehow from the recovery ? do I need to transfer my pics and videos to a external source like my PC or a jump drive ? Thanx in advance for assistance !

I have been on this forum for about a week now and any question I have had you guys have helped alot with and I appreciate that very much !!!

You can make a nandroid backup with Bootstrap Recovery for DX. You can also install ROM through it, which I recommend. Don't like ROM Manager.

Your pics should be on your SD card and your contacts should come back through backup assistant or Google.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

OP
METAL MUZZLE

METAL MUZZLE

Reaction score
Thanx alot chkmate ! you have been a huge help to me in deciding what rom to use and what to do to make sure I do this right ! Thanx for your time and assistance !

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1 not a big fan of ROM Manager either.

You can make a nandroid backup with Bootstrap Recovery for DX. You can also install ROM through it, which I recommend. Don't like ROM Manager.

Your pics should be on your SD card and your contacts should come back through backup assistant or Google.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
METAL MUZZLE

METAL MUZZLE

Reaction score
Thanx ! I was told when I first asked about modding my DX that I would need Bootstrap and Rom Manager so Im glad I asked ! It sounds like Bootstrap is all I need ! Thanx for the info ! Im off to get Bootstap and give this Darkslide Rom a go !

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just the Bootstrap and you're good :)

Thanx ! I was told when I first asked about modding my DX that I would need Bootstrap and Rom Manager so Im glad I asked ! It sounds like Bootstrap is all I need ! Thanx for the info ! Im off to get Bootstap and give this Darkslide Rom a go !

DroidForums junkie!!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The best thing to do is backup up contacts through your gmail account and export to your sd then ROM and import the contacts back.