Bootstrap prevents phone from booting?

leftspin

Reaction score
Rooted Droid X, MIUI 1.8.19
Yesterday I tried to boot into clockwork recovery and it brought me to stock recovery instead with an error message, and I realized I hadn't used the Droid 2 Bootstrapper. When I rebooted the phone everything worked fine and I installed the bootstrapper, ran it, it said success so I tried a reboot again. I couldn't boot into the phone, it would just hang on the white Motorola logo. When I tried to boot into recovery it took me to stock recovery again and clearing the cache/wiping data did nothing so I .sbf'd, re rooted, bootstrapped, flashed clockwork and restored my MIUI backup. Then when I booted into MIUI I installed the bootstrapper, ran it, got the success dialog, then flahsed clockwork. I tried a reboot again, same thing, just stuck at the Motorola logo. Tried recovery, same problem again, just stock recovery. I .sbf'd again and this time instead of restoring the backup I just flashed MIUI and configured all my preferences myself. Then I bootstrapped and flashed clockwork expecting this to solve the issue, except when I tried to reboot it still wouldn't get passed the Motorola logo and it would only take me to stock recovery. Is there some known issue with MIUI and Droid 2 Bootstrapper, or am I doing something wrong here? After the last time it happened I just .sbf'd and restored my backup without bootstrapping

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
No!!! Never use bootstrap on a 2nd init ROM. Use either ROM Manager or hold the power button and select reboot. Then select recovery.

If you use bootstrap, you will have to sbf.

random rom'd X

OP
leftspin

leftspin

Reaction score
okay, thank you for telling me this, I did not know you couldn't bootstrap a 2nd init ROM. If I remember correctly though, I bootstrapped with Liquid GB and it didn't cause this problem. I might be wrong though

and yeah, I learned the hard way that using bootstrap will force me to have to sbf, haha

OP
leftspin

leftspin

Reaction score
Another problem has kind of come from this. When I open ROM Manager and press reboot recovery, it will boot into clockwork recovery just fine, but when I hold the power button and press reboot and select recovery, it boots into stock recovery and gives the error message "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command." Is there something I can do about that or is it just an issue I'll have to live with?