Blurry vs Focused

ddodge68

Reaction score
So I've been running rubix focused for a few weeks now, and while I do actually like a few of the blur features, focused is an amazing ROM. Really stable and really fast. While Liberty, Darkslide, and apeX are all good ROMs, this is by far the best ROM that I've run. So, my question is....is "blurry" as quick and stable as Focused? I really don't want to flash a new ROM, and go thru all of the set-up again, just to be somewhat disappointed.

Opinions welcome....

timelord

Reaction score
Well Blurry has blur, so its going to lag a bit when compared to focused. Blurry is just like having stock but of course its snappier than stock. I also really liked focused, but I just like too many blur features to use it.

OP
ddodge68

ddodge68

Reaction score
Are you able to remove the blur components that you don't want, or is it kinda an all or nothing type deal? If it's all or none, I think I'll stick with none.

timelord

Reaction score
Of course you can remove blur components, just as with stock via Titanium backup. Honestly, I feel blur roms are really no different than stock after you remove all the bloatware and unwanted apps. Sure blur roms are a bit snappier overall, but nothing earth shattering.

So if you like blur, I suggest sticking with stock and just freezing or deleting anything you don't want. Otherwise I'd stick with a non blur rom. Although I like blur, I'll be using rubix focused for a while myself.

Skilover

Reaction score
What are the blur components? In other words, if you remove Blur, what gets removed? I'm curious if it's anything I'd miss.

timelord

Reaction score
Well everything that comes on the stock droid X is all blur. There are threads around that let you know what blur components can be safely removed or frozen.

Skilover

Reaction score
Well everything that comes on the stock droid X is all blur. There are threads around that let you know what blur components can be safely removed or frozen.

That would include, for example, the email app, and Im certain all ROMs include the email app, whether Blur or not. I guess I'm trying to figure out what in fact IS eliminated by the so-called AOSP (whatever that is) ROMs?

Thanks!

timelord

Reaction score

That would include, for example, the email app, and Im certain all ROMs include the email app, whether Blur or not. I guess I'm trying to figure out what in fact IS eliminated by the so-called AOSP (whatever that is) ROMs?

Thanks!

Yes all roms whether blurr or AOSP all have a email, messaging, camera app etc but blur rooms have motorola's blur email, messaging, camera, etc. The aosp roms eliminate 99% of the blur, and your left with stock vanilla android versions of those same apps.

Skilover

Reaction score
Yes all roms whether blurr or AOSP all have a email, messaging, camera app etc but blur rooms have motorola's blur email, messaging, camera, etc. The aosp roms eliminate 99% of the blur, and your left with stock vanilla android versions of those same apps.

Well, then the big question is, did Moto makes those apps better or worse when they modified the generic Google versions? For example, does the Moto email app do anything that the sock Google one doesn't--and l suppose, does the stock Google app do better than the Moto one? One thing I'd worry about is Exchange Email, for example, which the Moto version in Froyo does manage to handle; I'd need to be sure the Google version also works. Messaging I use a third party app, and the camera--well, I assume all versions take pictures.

That said, which of the common ROMS are Blur, which are AOSP? I gather some have both versions.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Whether it is better or not, I couldnt tell you. I prefer the AOSP camera package from google, because it combines the videocam and camera into one app that makes changing between the two a flick of a switch, literally. I think it comes down to preference for the most part. Like the aosp texting app, i prefer the blurred app instead (although I use handcent in all reality)

But all the motoblur junk that comes on a phone is terrible. 90+ apps that I really never use. Thank you devs for making it possible to remove that junk!

timelord

Reaction score
Blur roms, Rubix Blurry, darkslide blur and apex. Apex is the most customizable, it comes with basic android, but you can add as many blur apps as you want.

AOSP roms, Rubix focused, darkslide, gummyJar, liberty, fission, and a few others. Try both blur and AOSP roms and pick what works best for you. :)