Bionic shown with blazing speeds over 4g!

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So this is supposedly saying that 4G will be faster than Cable services?... really?
That's been known for a while.

Brandon
What's been known for awhile?? that speednet tests are unreliable for actual comparisons?...

All I see is that according to speednet I should be downloading a same file from a same website in about the same amount of time...and yet my 4G device running wifi off that cable connectrion is consistently twice to four times faster that when it's running 4G... just askin why since it's known???

And this also holds true if comparing my 4G device to my dexktop...according to speednet they should download the file about the same, but yet again my desktop on cable completely blows away the 4G download times...

DoctorV

Reaction score
What's been known for awhile?? that speednet tests are unreliable for actual comparisons?...

All I see is that according to speednet I should be downloading a same file from a same website in about the same amount of time...and yet my 4G device running wifi off that cable connectrion is consistently twice to four times faster that when it's running 4G... just askin why since it's known???

And this also holds true if comparing my 4G device to my dexktop...according to speednet they should download the file about the same, but yet again my desktop on cable completely blows away the 4G download times...

The 4G cell tower that you are connecting to could either be very far away and the signal is weak or you may have a lot of other 4G users around you that are hogging the bandwidth. What is your average download and upload speed when you are connected to 4G? For reference my home internet connection is 5mbps down and 1mbps up. My wife's Droid Charge when we're at home with a 4G connection is 8mbps down and 3mbps up.

bplewis24

Reaction score

It's been known for a while that theoretical 4G bandwith is higher than a lot of people in this country can get from their ISP.

Now, there is still a latency issue. It's very possible your cable connection has a lower latency than the 4G connection. Having said that, I don't find much reason to doubt the 4G speed claims. If you want a more reliable confirmation, simply tether a computer to your 4G phone and run a browser-based speed test from the PC. On the Anandtech reviews they do this and have found several peaks in the range of 25Mbps, although the average still tends to be around 12-15Mbps. I think my home internet used to be about 10Mbps, although I haven't checked in a while.

Brandon

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
so if you get 12-15 Mb/s on your 4G device, and only 10 Mb/s on your home internet...try downloading an exact same file from an exact same site using both devices... which connection wins every time??..especially when tests show the 4G device should be downloading it quite faster?
And the kicker is that the same 4G device running wifi downloads the same files far faster than the supposedly faster 4G connection?? and this is 'WIRELESS' not hardwired cable connection now mind you.

I'm just saying that too much is being placed on these speednet tests, they do not really represent real world download/upload speeds... what good is a speednet test result that shows 35 Mb/s if your cable connection that shows only 20 Mb/s on the same test continually downloads the same files in nearly half the time?? that is all I'm pointing out.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Regardless though, I'm happy to see the 4G devices getting light years faster speeds than we were getting off 3G... so whatever the real speeds may be for each person...I'm thrilled and am going to take a serious look at the Bionic when it does 'FINALLY' get released...lol

bplewis24

Reaction score
so if you get 12-15 Mb/s on your 4G device, and only 10 Mb/s on your home internet...try downloading an exact same file from an exact same site using both devices... which connection wins every time??..especially when tests show the 4G device should be downloading it quite faster?
And the kicker is that the same 4G device running wifi downloads the same files far faster than the supposedly faster 4G connection?? and this is 'WIRELESS' not hardwired cable connection now mind you.

I'm just saying that too much is being placed on these speednet tests, they do not really represent real world download/upload speeds... what good is a speednet test result that shows 35 Mb/s if your cable connection that shows only 20 Mb/s on the same test continually downloads the same files in nearly half the time?? that is all I'm pointing out.

I hear you. I don't have a 4G device currently, but when I get the Bionic or whatever, I'll try some tests and maybe make a thread about it.

Brandon

Renae

Reaction score

The main thing I'm looking at is the difference between a 3g phone and a 4g phone. If the numbers aren't totally accurate but show the difference correctly, we can at least see the increased speed of the newer technology.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Oh there's no doubt that 4G is far far faster than 3G, so we should all be delighted by that certainly... however we gotta keep a grasp on reality about 4G, it is in no way faster than wired cable services. So when we see these speednet speed tests, we have to keep things real.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've seen data proving(not speedtest) that 4G LTE is capable of exceeding wired non-fiber-optics lines.

Houdiniact

Reaction score
Oh there's no doubt that 4G is far far faster than 3G, so we should all be delighted by that certainly... however we gotta keep a grasp on reality about 4G, it is in no way faster than wired cable services. So when we see these speednet speed tests, we have to keep things real.

That is not true. My 4G thunderbolt consistently beats my comcast cable connection in downloads. I have even started downloading something on comcast only to be pissed about the speed and download the same file in 1/4 of the time. You can not use your results and call it gospel. It's all relative to the quality of 4g your getting in relation to distance and server load and your cable connection which for everybody is different. My thunderbolt also beats my neighbors internet and my brothers internet. Also those speeds on 4g are megabits not megabytes so 35megabits is actually 4.38 megabytes which can be more closely related to "some" cable connections specs depending on how they decide to word it. Oh and my cable is a 5megabyte connection and my 4.38megabytes thunderbolt smokes my comcast.

So basically you were saying that your cable is rated slower than the 4g speeds people are seeing and saying that 4g doesn't compare but really you have to convert the 4g speeds to the same unit!!! :icon_eek:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That is not true. My 4G thunderbolt consistently beats my comcast cable connection in downloads. I have even started downloading something on comcast only to be pissed about the speed and download the same file in 1/4 of the time. You can not use your results and call it gospel. It's all relative to the quality of 4g your getting in relation to distance and server load and your cable connection which for everybody is different. My thunderbolt also beats my neighbors internet and my brothers internet. Also those speeds on 4g are megabits not megabytes so 35megabits is actually 4.38 megabytes which can be more closely related to "some" cable connections specs depending on how they decide to word it. Oh and my cable is a 5megabyte connection and my 4.38megabytes thunderbolt smokes my comcast.

So basically you were saying that your cable is rated slower than the 4g speeds people are seeing and saying that 4g doesn't compare but really you have to convert the 4g speeds to the same unit!!! :icon_eek:

it's funny you talk about bits to bytes as if you're the only one that has any idea what 8 bits are. and you see how mixed up your statement is right?...if your Comcast is getting 5 M'B'\s and your 4G device is getting 4.38 M'B'/s and you're consistently having to wait 4 times as long on your Comcast, then I'd say either you have a serious issue with your PC in general..OR... your Comcast is actually 5 M'b'/s, which is more likely the truth based on your own statement about how your Comcast takes 4 times longer to download something compared to your 4G device...makes sense?

there is a reason I was typing M'b'/s and not M'B'/s, or did that get past you? ...lol ;)

Houdiniact

Reaction score
I'm not Confused. I live in a highly populated area with 4 huge condo complexes and I'm usually on at peak times so my comcast gets pretty slow if I'm on super early or really late the phone is still faster but not by much.

305rev305

Reaction score
This phone looks good but I'm an Htc Sense fanboy. Sense destroys moto blur. Hopefully the HTC Vigor comes out soon

anewday

Reaction score
Nothing special, the other phones can achieve those speeds too. I don't know why it's such a big deal. :icon_eek:

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Nothing special, the other phones can achieve those speeds too. I don't know why it's such a big deal. :icon_eek:
Dual Core...'and' ...4G