Bionic Issues and Decisions

Caligula2008

Reaction score
My GF gets the bionic on release day because of her tech boyfriend's advice. :p Since then she's had nothing but problems and I haven't even rooted it yet as I originally planned!

Out of no where about a month into owning the device (she was enjoying it very much) her notification bar just stops working. She couldn't pull it down no matter what we did and had to get it down by pressing the home screen button on the main screen. I posted a topic here but couldn't figure it out so I said no worries just take it to Verizon and have them give you a new phone.

Verizon is just as puzzled and agrees its an issue after a factory reset. Problem is she gets her new phone during Thanksgiving break and oh I forgot to mention its NOT NEW. They send her a refurbished phone which they're apparently entitled to do despite the fact that her brand new phone just stopped working.

Now with the refurbished phone she randomly has reboots, her clock mysteriously goes back five hours or so (another thread here on tech issues still no resolution) setting off alarms at inopportune times, and she is genuinely unhappy with some of the issues especially the reboots when she does intensive processing (for her this is navigation and words with friends).

I want to root and ROM it to get it working right so I've been holding off on the updates for her but I am seriously thinking it needs to go back... But what does she tell Verizon - that it just reboots sometimes and the clock goes back in time for a couple seconds every now and then.. These aren't exactly reproducible problems.... And of course she is devastated about losing progress on her Paradise Island game once again. :p (poor game design that one!)

Again all these issues have occurred on stock just not updated. What should I have her do - the updates and take back or take a shot on root? I'm so frustrated with it and she just wants her phone to run as smoothly as mine I just can't get it there, and I am seriously thinking it has to do with the refurbished phone so I shouldn't bother with rooting until she gets a new one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Been with the forums since my OG Droid! I apologize for the long post its sorta frustration, venting, and questions combined. I just know I would be freaking out if It were my phone but she's been hanging in there confident in my abilities to fix it (perhaps unfounded).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Tonik

Reaction score
Get another like new. These are not normal problems and ROMs and such are not going to fix it.

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
You listed multiple issues but the root cause is going to be hardware, exchange the phone until they give you one that works properly.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

CBMGGM

Reaction score
+ 1
You have to play the game with VZW on CLN replacements. It might take 5 or more before you get a working unit. I've been down this road myself; went thru 12 Droid X & X2's last year before moving to the BIONIC. It's a solid unit once you get the 901 update. Good luck!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Definitely seek another exchange & if this one works properly, proceed with your plan...:D

~it's not just a phone~

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
You can root more or less any of the updates, and the updates fix a lot of the problems you describe anyway. Silly decision to hold out on updates!

nateohio

Reaction score
Get another replacement and then install the 901 update.

The phone will run smooth as butter after that

OP
C

Caligula2008

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's response. I know its a great phone it just hasn't been working right (obviously lol) I'm going to make her turn it in. Any good app for backing up apps so she'll have a smoother transition... She particularly doesn't want to lose her Paradise Island progress so I might have her root and unroot for Titanium lol.

All advice welcome.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

MdicnMan

Reaction score
I have to agree on the exchange it again advice. I got my last exchage about a week ago after 4 duds and it has been ... well.. perfect at .901... I have to say that I am almost disapointed because my account has a note in it (I even called back to check) that if they replace the phone again, I am to get a RAZR.