Bionic battery life

tc3

Reaction score
If you are constantly using your device then yes you should have an extra battery or charger handy.

But if your phone does sit idle for most of the work day you should have plenty of juice to last you all day.....which is definitely not the case with my thunderbolt.

No phone calls , maybe 2 or 3 text and checking Facebook a few times and if I don't charge it at lunch it will be almost dead by the time I get home.

That kinda battery life is unacceptable for a phone.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
8 hours of screen on time per charge please... THANKS

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Renae

Reaction score
Well I never said anything about draining the battery. I'm just not into bring a charger everywhere. Sure, at work, in your car, and at work is understandable. I just don't think you need one for every room, closet, bathroom, attic, garage etc. I have no problem with an extra battery or extended battery either. I know if I get the Bionic, I'll probably get the extended battery.

You don't have a charger in your attic? Man you're lame.:icon_ banana:

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like Dr. Seuss would have written a story about all of the places he kept phone charges...

BeerManMike

Reaction score
True: You should always have a charger in the places that you frequent the most, eg home, office, car.
False: You should always charge it when not in use.

The owners manuals even advise against this. Verizon reps advise against this. You seem to be the only person I've ever heard say that it should only be on a charger when not in use. This truly defeats the purpose of spending so much money on a mobile device, or a smart phone, as you call it. case in point, an iPad (no flaming please) is even closer to a "computer" than a smart phone. I believe many people will disagree with having to charge it when it's not in use.

Hmm, i just searched the owners manual for the Droid Charge (my current phone) and found nothing about that for the battery. My Boss and I (especially him) use docking stations all day long and i usually charge only when it hits 40% or so but sometimes all day or for 4-5 hours. I also charge all night when i'm asleep, man that battery should be dead by now right? Well my boss's Droid X and my previous OG Droid have been running good in regards to battery life. When i wake up my Droid charge is stone cold and not hot at all. Although i could not find any evidence that any cell phone battery has this, but it would surprise me if they all DID NOT have it, there is a technology (not new) that is called "power management circuit" which when the Li-Ion gets a 100% charge it shuts off the charging to it as to not over charge, that's why you can leave it in all day.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe there's enough factual evidence suggesting that most new lithium batteries do not have the overcharging problems of the past that result in degradation. Although I did recently read an electrical engineering article about some of the lithium batteries being used in electric cars degrading over time and actually resulting in a half-life of only 2 years before needing battery replacement, so who knows.

All I know personally is I've had my OG(original battery) for 2 years and it's been charged over 100% a couple hundred times and it's rock solid.

Last edited:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Well I never said anything about draining the battery. I'm just not into bring a charger everywhere. Sure, at work, in your car, and at work is understandable. I just don't think you need one for every room, closet, bathroom, attic, garage etc. I have no problem with an extra battery or extended battery either. I know if I get the Bionic, I'll probably get the extended battery.

Fair enough,,,I just seems to me everyone worries about an non-issue. A rotation of three batteries and an extra charger seems like you could never run out.
I mean I use the heck out my phone, but 8 hours constant on? What do you do for a living? Do you eat and uh, er, you know?
Jeeze nobody needs 8 hour straight and if you do, see above.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fair enough,,,I just seems to me everyone worries about an non-issue. A rotation of three batteries and an extra charger seems like you could never run out.
I mean I use the heck out my phone, but 8 hours constant on? What do you do for a living? Do you eat and uh, er, you know?
Jeeze nobody needs 8 hour straight and if you do, see above.

I don't think a 4.3" screen would suffice for 8 hours of...yeah....I'm mean that's just a tiny screen for that....

googlelover

Reaction score
I don't think a 4.3" screen would suffice for 8 hours of...yeah....I'm mean that's just a tiny screen for that....
Its called getting the mini HDMI to HDMI cord, then you can get 40" of .. yeah... instead of the 4.3"
edit: or lapdock for on the go? hahaha

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
A Look at the DROID Bionic’s Battery Life

A Look at the DROID Bionic’s Battery Life

One of the selling points for the DROID Bionic when it is finally released, is likely going to be that it has an above average battery life as compared to other 4G LTE phones like the Thunderbolt. We aren’t exactly sure what Moto has done on the inside to hopefully extend the life of the device, but one would guess that they have done more than just slap an extended battery in it, since they have had months and months of extra time for optimization. Thanks to a DL reader, we have shots of the Bionic’s battery meter at the 60%, 50% and 15% marks to give us some sort of an idea of what we can expect.
What we have been told, is that up until the 60% mark, the device was essentially just running on 3G with moderate usage, allowing it to cruise through almost 15 hours without dropping much.
After the device hit 60% though, the phone jumped between 3G and 4G LTE for a while before locking onto just 4G LTE for the remainder of its charge. As you can see in the screenshot below, with what appears to be pretty moderate usage, the device still stood at around 50% after over 19 hours of use.
And finally, we return back to the photo up top which shows that after over a full day (25 hours) of what we are still pretty sure has been moderate usage, the phone has 15% left.
We can gather a few things from looking at these shots. First, is that this phone already crushes the HTC Thunderbolt in battery even if it has just been sitting idle. The Thunderbolt, whether it was on 3G or 4G, could not last a day even at moderate usage. Second thing, is it appears as if this new Blur still heavily favors cell standby time and phone idle in its battery meters just like it does on the DROID3. Even with pretty heavy use, my D3 almost always has these two as its top battery gobblers, so it’s pretty tough to tell how much usage this phone was getting on this charge. We did hear from our source that by no means, was this “heavy” usage.
Overall though, this is a pretty good sign for the Bionic, especially with doubters expecting the battery to die in minutes with both LTE and a dual-core processor running. It’s looking like with all that extra time that Moto put into this device, that they may have actually found some ways to keep it alive longer.

Source

Last edited:

Renae

Reaction score
That is very good news.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still don't see why those tests are relevant. The phone was on stand by and idle nearly the entire time. It also says half of the time was spent on 3G.

I'm not doubting the improved battery, just that that test doesn't show us anything.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still don't see why those tests are relevant. The phone was on stand by and idle nearly the entire time. It also says half of the time was spent on 3G.

I'm not doubting the improved battery, just that that test doesn't show us anything.

No. In the article, Kellex specifically points out that even though it says it's been idle, that isn't really true because that's what the new Blur always says. Even on the Droid 3. These tests show us the Bionic can go the extra mile, get us through a day's use, and probably has the best battery life of all the 4G phones out right now.

spider210

Reaction score
My though it ya it has a bigger battery, it will last throughout the day with good moderate use but anyone expecting to last 2 days is just out of their mind. this is a computer is handheld and not just a phone. the only this this has in common with the most basic phone is that it makes phone calls... people these days expect too much.

if I head to work at 7am and take phone off charger around 630am I am expecting that around 5pm I am going to have to charge it, if i didn't charge it around noon time on lunch.