Best Way To Sync Outlook Calendar?

dmwiecz

Reaction score
I may check that out, but I don't think my problem is a syncing problem. I just can't edit the event on my phone the way I'd like to. I wouldn't think that a different syncing software would change that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I may check that out, but I don't think my problem is a syncing problem. I just can't edit the event on my phone the way I'd like to. I wouldn't think that a different syncing software would change that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have noticed that there are not as many "entry fields" on the phone as in either the google calendar or the outlook calendar....I input as much info as I need and then update my calendar via laptop as necessary. The software I am using is for syncing purposes only - I needed both my contacts and my calendar to sync with outlook and I did not desire to constantly update a .csv file. I should have also noted that I used the google calendar sync as well prior to finding gSyncIt...

shelfee

Reaction score
From phone to Outlook

I'm not getting calendar appointments back to Outlook if I enter it in my Droid. It goes to Google Calendar but not to the Outlook.

I'm using Google Calendar sync and it's set for 2way synching. Help??!!

jbsangel

Reaction score
Actually i also think it is the google sync software. it is stated as a known issue that syncing recurring appoints is a problem. if the event was created in outlook as a recurring appt it may not sync properly to calendar. I can't confirm of this is still the case now, but this is one of the reasons i stopped using google calendar sync a while ago, because my recurring appointments did not sync right and because i just couldn't stand having a gazillion deleted appointments going into my deleted items folder. just makes searching a pain, as if outlook doesn't already complicate that enough.

i have (and had) no problem deleting/editing a single occurence of a recurring appt created using google calendar, but plenty of issues when the appt was created in outlooked and synced to google.

garyiden

Reaction score
shelfee: Not sure if it is related or anything, but I've had to re-load Google Sync in the past because it wasn't working. I haven't had to do it lately (couple of months) and all seems well with updates going back and forth between Outlook and Google.

jbsangel

Reaction score
I'm not getting calendar appointments back to Outlook if I enter it in my Droid. It goes to Google Calendar but not to the Outlook.

I'm using Google Calendar sync and it's set for 2way synching. Help??!!

have you looked on the google help forum site for calendar sync? i can't really help with your problem, but i know when i was using the app i found a lot of helpful information there.

hinky

Reaction score
I am convinced that Google is bent on making people dump their Microsoft products. I haven't been able to properly use Outlook. I hear the folks at CompanionLink are coming out with a new version that will hopefully solve a lot of issues.

A few big issues - Facebook and Google both are horrible in terms of contact management (first name, last name rather than reverse order, etc.) and these can cause big clashes with sync and backup... I know. Hopefully the guys at CL will figure it out. I wonder how well the HTC stuff works.

jbsangel

Reaction score
I am convinced that Google is bent on making people dump their Microsoft products.
This is an interesting dilemma and not a new one either, as there are other companies besides Google that have the same dilemma of whether to support microsoft products or not. Google has their own enterprise solution that they would naturally want to push, but outlook, excel, word, etc are still very popular, commonplace applications and it's a big hindrance and even discouragement for some people to move to a platform that doesn't offer better support and synchronization for those applications.

I think the natural answer is for people that aren't satisfied with the google calendar sync application, or the lack of synchronization with outlook in general, then a droid eris or a windows mobile device might be a better fit.

Since I do have exchange for my work stuff, the change to android hasn't killed me, it's just added a layer of annoyance of having both a corporate calendar and a google calendar.

baniels

Reaction score
You could also set up a rule in Ourlook to forward all calendar events to your gmail address. That is what I do, however, I only do it with certain calendar events, because I only need to be able to access a few certain things outside of work.

Events will be added automatically to your gmail calendar.

One could also create a rule in Gmail to automatically mark such emails as read and archive them so they don't clutter your inbox.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
My sync works perfect with Outlook from Office 2007 on Vista PC. It syncs both directions wirelessly in the background with Google calendar which I use on the Droid.

How did i do it? When I bought my Droid I told the guy at the VZW store that I had to be able to sync with Outlook. He told me to call the VZW tech line and tell them the same thing. I called, the VZW tech person connected me to a Motorola tech person. The M tech person sent me to a web site to download something on my PC (I do not know what site) Now I sync with no other action required from me. Make the call

hinky

Reaction score
I am convinced that Google is bent on making people dump their Microsoft products.
This is an interesting dilemma and not a new one either, as there are other companies besides Google that have the same dilemma of whether to support microsoft products or not. Google has their own enterprise solution that they would naturally want to push, but outlook, excel, word, etc are still very popular, commonplace applications and it's a big hindrance and even discouragement for some people to move to a platform that doesn't offer better support and synchronization for those applications.
This has more to do with Google deciding to take over the world and run its own operating system and office applications suite.

I think the natural answer is for people that aren't satisfied with the google calendar sync application, or the lack of synchronization with outlook in general, then a droid eris or a windows mobile device might be a better fit.
Getting another Android device would be ridiculous, unfortunately. Truth is ANY phone but Android works with Outlook perfectly (not Exchange version.)

jbsangel

Reaction score
[Getting another Android device would be ridiculous, unfortunately. Truth is ANY phone but Android works with Outlook perfectly (not Exchange version.)
The Droid Eris has sync with outlook using the USB cable, just like good old activesync on windows mobile phones. It is something HTC added and by most accounts in the forums, works well.

Exchange is the server, not a version of outlook.

I wasn't aware that iPhone synced with Outlook? I thought iPhone does all its syncing through iTunes?

Looks like i got some reading to do!

jbsangel

Reaction score
My sync works perfect with Outlook from Office 2007 on Vista PC. It syncs both directions wirelessly in the background with Google calendar which I use on the Droid.

How did i do it? When I bought my Droid I told the guy at the VZW store that I had to be able to sync with Outlook. He told me to call the VZW tech line and tell them the same thing. I called, the VZW tech person connected me to a Motorola tech person. The M tech person sent me to a web site to download something on my PC (I do not know what site) Now I sync with no other action required from me. Make the call

You are using Google Calendar Sync :)

hinky

Reaction score
[Getting another Android device would be ridiculous, unfortunately. Truth is ANY phone but Android works with Outlook perfectly (not Exchange version.)
The Droid Eris has sync with outlook using the USB cable, just like good old activesync on windows mobile phones. It is something HTC added and by most accounts in the forums, works well.

Exchange is the server, not a version of outlook.

I wasn't aware that iPhone synced with Outlook? I thought iPhone does all its syncing through iTunes?

Looks like i got some reading to do!
Likewise. I heard about the sync with HTC but can't understand why Google left out HTC's app from its platform (unless it's bent on getting rid of Microsoft which, I don't doubt, may well be on its agenda and HTC realized it wasn't going away so soon.) Drives me crazy that Motorola hasn't provided word of the same to its users.

Regarding the iPhone, yes it provides standard sync to Outlook through iTunes. It's one of the options setting it up. Now it sucks that it doesn't sync notes and tasks, but those are more minor if you do any serious task management but it does to a very good job with Contacts and Calendar, stock out of the box.

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
If you use touchdown or another 3rd party app to sync outlook e-mail do you have to upgrade to the $45 data plan from big red?