Best way to keep old phone active?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I currently have a Droid RAZR M and bought a brand new Droid Maxx from swappa a few days ago. It's scheduled to arrive today. I plan on activating it with a new SIM tomorrow. I need to keep my Razr M active for data only for a while, and when that project is finished it's going to be my family spare. I don't want to do a FDR, just have the phone available for use if needed. I know a lot of people post in here & other forums that they have several older phones that they use as WiFi only devices. What's the best way do that? Just turn off Mobile Data and leave WiFi on connected to my home router? Is that all there is to it, or does the SIM have to come out of the RAZR M also so it does not try to connect to Verizon for calls & texts? When I replaced my Bionic with the RAZR M, I did a FDR on the Bionic instantly and then realized that I can't use it for anything now without activating it on the network and want ot avoid that this time. Just looking for some pointers form the folks that do this often. TIA.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
When I retired my Galaxy Nexus, I put it in airplane mode then enabled WiFi & that was it. I put it in airplane mode to save battery. I also left my Sim card in it since this Moto X used a different size sim

Tapped from a Moto X

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When I retired my Galaxy Nexus, I put it in airplane mode then enabled WiFi & that was it. I put it in airplane mode to save battery. I also left my Sim card in it since this Moto X used a different size sim

Tapped from a Moto X

That sounds like a good plan. Appreciate the reply!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Tapped from a Moto X
Agreed. Saves battery because call/data network radios aren't looking for signal. In low signal areas, like where I live, it can more than quadrupole normal battery life. My old Inc went from charging once a day to charging about once a week

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

P

promo87

Agreed. Saves battery because call/data network radios aren't looking for signal. In low signal areas, like where I live, it can more than quadrupole normal battery life. My old Inc went from charging once a day to charging about once a week

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Does it really can be established I mean if I switch the mobile network off i.e put the device over the Airplane mode with just a wifi on. Is it going to extend my device up time ??