Best ToDo list app?

eNonsense

Reaction score
You can get the evernote beta here: http://s.evernote.com/androidbeta
They're actively updating it. You can read more about evernote for android here Evernote User Forum • View forum - Evernote for Android, and on the plus side if you have any feedback they'll take it into account while they're developing the app. It works great for me although it's in beta.

As a side note, you'll need the program "AppsInstaller" to install a .apk packaged program on the phone.

I put the evernote beta on my phone. It's got some really great features like integrating photos and websites into your notes. I've noticed though that while you can add check boxes to your note entries, they can't be activated/checked. I like the program and I'm gonna use it for now, as I need a web synced interface. I want to see what Mobisle Notes does with their web interface when that comes out though.

Last edited:

sustained

Reaction score
I tried some of the apps mentioned already. I thought Astrid was a good one.

But, I just end up using AK Notepad all the time because it's the simplest to use. Create a note, set a reminder time, you're done. And I like that there is a setting that makes it look like a yellow paper/brown lined legal pad.

AK Notepad

Some might like more options, for example in Astrid you can give each note a priority level. But I just like a simple reminder.

Freefall_Doug

Reaction score
I am using Astrid, and overall I like the application.

That being said I wish there was an application that was better suited to the GTD system, and less like a to do list. If any one has read GTD you know what I mean about being project and action based, and no a simple task based system.

I would love an application where you set up projects, and then next actions build off from that.

Too bad the GTD people can't come up with a killer app!

zeira

Reaction score
Astrid with Remember the Milk can work pretty well. If you google Astrid + GTD you could find how some people use it to implement GTD. I'm still working on a system.

fjmarch

Reaction score
I am using the GTD system on RTM. I have set up the lists on RTM as the actions found in GTD i.e. @Office, @phone..... and then I use the tags in RTM as my projects. That way I can sort by action and project by using lists and tags in RTM.

Wongster

Reaction score
Reaction score
After experimenting, i decided to use google calendar to accomplish this. This way, I have one location I can go to when I'm on my laptop OR on my phone. I created a new calendar called Tasks. So I have my main calendar and my tasks calendar. My main calendar is blue and my tasks are green.

When I want to create a task, I can either use the Calendar app on my phone or create it on gmail through the web interface. I create an all day event and label it whatever.

So now, when I open the calendar app on the phone, all my tasks are in green and all my appointments are in blue. It's the same on the gmail web interface. The cool thing about it is that the tasks stay at the top of the day I'm looking at and don't interfere with my appointments. Once I'm done with one, I just delete it. You can set reminders if you want to but I don't do that with tasks because I look at them all the time to make sure I get them all done for whatever day I'm on...

On top of all that, if you go to gmail calendar through the web interface on your phone, it has a very easy to read intuitive interface there. I love it, and can easily distinguish between tasks and appointments. I can edit them from any interface I want and everything is synced automagically.

So with all of those apps out there, I found that I don't need any of them. This is much easier for me. I also use google docs for my business, mail and calendar so no matter what I'm doing, I have access to everything.

A bonus feature to this is if you put the location on a task or appointment, you can bring up a map on your phone or your computer and get directions or see satellite view.

Thanks for this it is working GREAT!

One question is there anyway to do strike through when you complete a task? I found on the phone there is character for a checkmark but on the computer I dont see a checkmark? :(

thanks

I keep switching between google tasks and remember the milk. I think RTM is a lot more powerful if you learn how to use it and set up an appropriate system for you (tags, lists, smart lists, priority, etc). You can try the RTM application and widget for two weeks I think before you have to pay for the pro account, the integration with Astrid also works pretty well.

You can integrate RTM with gmail and with google calendar on your computer, you can email tasks to your RTM email address in the "smart add" form. But I'm still looking for a nice widget to display a selected list of tasks on the home screen with nice formatting. The pure calendar developer is working on an implementation for this, but it's still in beta and has a way to go. The RTM app has a customizable widget, but it looks pretty ugly, and that would be the only reason to get the pro account, otherwise Astrid does pretty much everything.

Can google calendar and astrid work together if so how do i integrate that?
also you mention google tasks how do i get access to google tasks on the droid?

thanks

Last edited:

pfieldho

Reaction score

Can google calendar and astrid work together if so how do i integrate that?
also you mention google tasks how do i get access to google tasks on the droid?

Astrid has a check box if you want to link the task in Google Calendar

mpenda

Reaction score
I like Remember The Milk as it supports repeating To-Do's. For monthly/weekly items, you can mark them completed and it will pop up again the next month.

D-Roid

Reaction score
I'm having a small issue with Remember the Milk Sync with Astrid. Everything seems to be going fairly well. If I add a task on the website or the droid they seem to sync fine to each other. However if I email a task to RTM it will get added to the website just fine, but the emailed in tasks won't sync to Astrid...

I really wanted to get this to work. Anyone have any ideas. I realize it is more of a Remember the Milk issue but just in case someone ran into this.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like Remember The Milk as it supports repeating To-Do's. For monthly/weekly items, you can mark them completed and it will pop up again the next month.

+1 for that feature. The repeating feature is extremely flexible and powerful. It can be set to months, weeks, number of days, and on particular days of the week. Can even be set to every other wednesday, for example.

Furthermore, notes can be appended to a particular task. And since I capture most of my tasks when I'm at my computer rather than on my phone, the web interface is much appreciated.

Note that some of these features may be part of the paid version of the app. In fact, I'm not even sure if there is a free (as opposed to a trial) version.

B

Brucew0617

Any.Do, Evernote, Do it (Tomorrow) all of them are great free apps.