Best ToDo list app?

RighteousAura

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a good ToDo list app? There seems to be a lot of them available and I am not sure which one to go with.

edavis

Reaction score
I was looking for a good note app and found Note Everything. It has a couple of built in list functions that aren't bad. They are fairly basic lists though. I think I paid a couple of bucks for the app. Well worth it for me.:icon_ banana:

ahs4n

Reaction score
Gtasks is pretty good since it can sync with google tasks.

mistermix

Reaction score
I use Astrid. It' s OK. It syncs with Remember the Milk (for free).

To use the official Remember the Milk app, you need to be a "Pro" member, which costs $25/yearly.

zeira

Reaction score
I keep switching between google tasks and remember the milk. I think RTM is a lot more powerful if you learn how to use it and set up an appropriate system for you (tags, lists, smart lists, priority, etc). You can try the RTM application and widget for two weeks I think before you have to pay for the pro account, the integration with Astrid also works pretty well.

You can integrate RTM with gmail and with google calendar on your computer, you can email tasks to your RTM email address in the "smart add" form. But I'm still looking for a nice widget to display a selected list of tasks on the home screen with nice formatting. The pure calendar developer is working on an implementation for this, but it's still in beta and has a way to go. The RTM app has a customizable widget, but it looks pretty ugly, and that would be the only reason to get the pro account, otherwise Astrid does pretty much everything.

eNonsense

Reaction score
I've been using Mobisle Notes. I just installed Astrid and it looks like it does things a bit different. Mobisle lets you have many different lists/notes with a Title for each list, kinda like pages in a note pad. Astrid looks like it puts everything in one list and you have to assign tags to entries to filter out a set like "grocery store" or something. Seems like more work for what I want it to do. I want a random note & check list taking program. Not a task manager. I put tasks like that in Google Cal. and use Pure Calendar for that type of thing. I just wish Mobisle Notes synced to something online, though it says they're developing a pro version w/ online sync. I'd pay for it.

Last edited:

zeira

Reaction score
You might be able to use evernote for what you want. I'm not sure whether their app is in the marketplace yet or you have to search for the beta online.

Astrid and RTM are good for a GTD like system, for managing tasks in a project, setting goals, etc. Things which are hard to manage in a calendar.

Terra

Reaction score
All the apps mentioned are good. For ease I've found Mobilse and Melon quite user friendly. I like that Melon allows you to add toasts to your notes, so anytime that you have to unlock your phone a small sticky of your note pops up on the home screen for a sec or two and then disappears. I mostly use these two along with Astrid and sometimes gtasks. All of their strenghts balance out their weaknesses, but I look forward when someone can develop an app that intergrates all of these functions, such as home screen widget, toast reminder, sync with gmail calender, voice reminder like the one found in action complete (also good), notes and advanced planner capability both with reminders into one. "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

zeira

Reaction score
The developer of Pure Calendar is working on integrating astrid in his widget. It's not very customizable yet, but it looks promising.

jthorpe

Reaction score
I tried a bunch of them including Gtasks and Remember the milk. while RTM was pretty good, I'm not interested in paying 20 bucks to use it. Just not worth it to me when there are so many programs out there to do this....

After experimenting, i decided to use google calendar to accomplish this. This way, I have one location I can go to when I'm on my laptop OR on my phone. I created a new calendar called Tasks. So I have my main calendar and my tasks calendar. My main calendar is blue and my tasks are green.

When I want to create a task, I can either use the Calendar app on my phone or create it on gmail through the web interface. I create an all day event and label it whatever.

So now, when I open the calendar app on the phone, all my tasks are in green and all my appointments are in blue. It's the same on the gmail web interface. The cool thing about it is that the tasks stay at the top of the day I'm looking at and don't interfere with my appointments. Once I'm done with one, I just delete it. You can set reminders if you want to but I don't do that with tasks because I look at them all the time to make sure I get them all done for whatever day I'm on...

On top of all that, if you go to gmail calendar through the web interface on your phone, it has a very easy to read intuitive interface there. I love it, and can easily distinguish between tasks and appointments. I can edit them from any interface I want and everything is synced automagically.

So with all of those apps out there, I found that I don't need any of them. This is much easier for me. I also use google docs for my business, mail and calendar so no matter what I'm doing, I have access to everything.

A bonus feature to this is if you put the location on a task or appointment, you can bring up a map on your phone or your computer and get directions or see satellite view.

ThermalGuy

Reaction score
I just checked, Evernote does not support Android yet. Too bad.
They seem to support all the other phone OS's so maybe it's coming.