Best Task Killer App

Grifter

Reaction score
So I know I'm new here and all, but just wanted to give my opinion....

I had the Advanced Task Killer on my Moto Droid. I was finding that a lot of applications were running and never shutting down. They'd run all the time after I used them - Navigation, maps, music, etc. I tested this myself and the battery would just get used up. So I poked around, found people were talking about this app and downloaded it for a test.

Worked like a charm. Saved my battery life, apps were closing when I closed my screen and I could choose which applications to ignore (mail, voice mnail, Meebo IM, Weatherbug, etc.).

Now I have the Droid X - does the software close it on it's own? Not sure myself. I have found apps open and running that I never opened, not to be closed later in the day or the next day. So, I downloaded it again. It works for me, I like it. But to each their own. So long as you're happy with how it is working for you, that should be all that matters.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Since I swore of off task killers not only has my anxiety about battery life gone away but my battery life itself is 30% better now. At least the apps I use are being shut down by Android after a few minutes of non use.:icon_ banana:

dima1109

Reaction score
Think about it this way. If a "rogue" app is running in the background, Android will close it in, say, a minute. It would take you probably around 30 seconds to unlock the phone, pull up task manager, find which app you don't need, and kill it. All that time, your phone's CPU is working much harder than it otherwise would, activating the phone interface triggers some other services like sync or GPS (if enabled), a call to home screen triggers widget updates (let's face it, most of us have at least the Weather one up). Plus, you are forcing the screen to be on for 30 seconds, and screen is by far and above the biggest single battery drainer. So there you have it - letting Android deal with killing tasks saves you more battery than killing them yourself :) at least in my sad attempt at an explanation :)