Task Killer, worth downloading or no?

brooklyn2710

Reaction score
I seen earlier that there was forums asking for the best task killer/application management and many said that they actually cause problems and that you can simple use Android best in task killer. But Android task killer doesn't pick up everything. Especially all the apps that come on when you turn the phone off then on. I was wondering though, are task killer really worth it or no?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If you are asking this question, then no its not worth downloading.

The only thing worse than an overzealous task manager, is one improperly used. Not trying to sound like a dbag, just stating that task managers are bad news until you are very familiar with the workings of the phone and what should/should not be killed.

If you are rooted, there are better alternatives, such as minfreemanager or autokiller.

cplus

Reaction score
Ok,

well then what do you suggest I do when Pandora crashes on me?

It's the only reason I need a taskiller. I try to kill it from native 'Running applications' section of settings menu but it just says Pandora FC. I say ok and when I launch Pandora again its the same black blank screen with nonresponsive controls across the bottom. So I need a tkiller or else i have to reboot.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'm not advocating that one is never needed...you could always wade through 15 menus and do it via manage applications, but the reality is that this is a situation where a TK is ideal. I think you probably already knew that ;)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh God........... Not another one of these threads.

Unfortunately, as long as there are new users there will be these threads.

A couple of pieces of advice for the OP. First, of course, learn to use the "search" button. But don't feel too bad, you're not alone.

Second, if you're determined to get a task killer, take a look at "System Panel." It's a task killer for people who hate task killers. The UI is very informative (in real time) about the apps that are actually "running" versus those that are "inactive!" and simply sitting in memory because the o/s has had no reason to push them out.

You'll also find that most "inactive" apps started when you booted your phone, used a few cpu cycles for a few seconds, and then quietly went "inactive."

Plus, it provides useful information about such things as current clock speed and historical info about use of your memory.

If, in fact, you find that you have an active application that is serving no purpose or doesn't go inactive on its own, System Panel will allow you to kill it. Otherwise, as long as you have at least 30 mg of free memory, killing applications that are doing nothing but sitting in memory does nothing for you except require that the o/s goes to additional work to activate them when it needs to do so.

P.S. Of course if you're obsessive about it and just hate having Google force an Amazon MP3 app on you, you can always get a little thrill by killing it even though it's doing no harm.

Last edited:

cplus

Reaction score
Heck yeah!!

well then what do you suggest I do when Pandora crashes on me?

It's the only reason I need a taskiller. I try to kill it from native 'Running applications' section of settings menu but it just says Pandora FC. I say ok and when I launch Pandora again its the same black blank screen with nonresponsive controls across the bottom. So I need a tkiller or else i have to reboot.

I figured out what to do with pandora!! I don't need a taskiller AT ALL anymore. Here's what I figured out:

Go to the unresponsive Pandora screen.

Press menu button. [four horizontal lines button]

Press 'QUIT'.

Relaunch Pandora.

Go figure, all I had to do was pay attention and read a little and I figured it out. THE QUIT BUTTON- LOL! That was driving me crazy for a month or more now. Ha!