Task Killer Apps...Good or Bad?

Task Killer Apps...Good or Bad?

• Yes, use them. They are beneficial.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, don't use them. They cause problems.

• I don't know Hook, I'm just as confused as you are.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that I'm seeing so many pros and cons on these apps that now I'm confused. I was using Task Manager and I didn't seem to have any issues with it. Then everybody said don't use Advance Task Killer, it causes the Droid to slow down. So I stopped using it and dumped it.

So let's do a poll. How do you feel about task killer apps?

Guchi

Reaction score
the verizon rep told me to get ATK and about a week later i dumper it too i think the droid handles the ram well and doesn't need my "help"

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Over on the Verizon web site some girl did a write up on the Droid. She recommended them to help manage memory. That's probably why the rep told you to download it.

Silver Member
Reaction score
furthermore, you can end everything right from the settings menu. i never saw a need for anything third party. especially anything that schedules a service to end services. that's asinine.

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I like Advanced Task Killer. I know a lot of people say it's not necessary to kill any tasks because the Droid manages memory so well. But I've had instances where the Droid was slowing down and killing off a bunch of tasks sped it back up. I don't use it often, maybe like once every day or two, but I like it quite well.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like Advanced Task Killer. I know a lot of people say it's not necessary to kill any tasks because the Droid manages memory so well. But I've had instances where the Droid was slowing down and killing off a bunch of tasks sped it back up. I don't use it often, maybe like once every day or two, but I like it quite well.

When you say the Droid is slowing down, what exactly are your referring too? The only place I notice this is web browsing.

Reaction score
ive used it since i bought my phone and its just nice being able to see what all is running in the background and if theres things i dont want running i can just shut them down.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use Advanced Task Manager. I have read all the threads about task killers not being needed, but I like being able to touch an icon on my home screen to kill everything (other than the apps I have exempted) that is running in the background. It certainly has never caused any issues on my end.

vrdubin6

Reaction score
ive used it since i bought my phone and its just nice being able to see what all is running in the background and if theres things i dont want running i can just shut them down.

Bingo... same here. I have most everything that I always use ignored. I just use it to end programs like Twonky Server that I know drain battery when I dont need to use them. It is also nice in situations such as closing out Home++ while I am editing my theme for Sweeterhome. If you use the features and customize to your needs then I think task managers are very beneficial.

Silver Member
Reaction score
you can see what's running by going home - menu - settings - applications - manage applications - filter - running.

or create a short cut to manage applications and then choose menu - filter - running.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you can see what's running by going home - menu - settings - applications - manage applications - filter - running.

or create a short cut to manage applications and then choose menu - filter - running.

I know that. But when I ran Task Manager what it showed running and what it showed in applications wasn't the same. So who do you believe?

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
I have one installed, but I rarely use it. On the rare occasion that something gets hung up, it's nice to be able to just kill it. I have it set to ignore most things anyway.

Silver Member
Reaction score
so.... which one had more? maybe they're just identified differently? why would google try to hide anything?

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
so.... which one had more? maybe they're just identified differently? why would google try to hide anything?

Task Manager always shows a bunch of stuff running. Stuff I may not have even touched, like Corporate Calendar and Twidroid. What's interesting and many others have confirmed this is 10 minutes later 70% of the stuff you killed is running again. According to Task manager, that is.

Jason

Reaction score

This ^. Its way better than having another program running when we have one built in