Best Method to Gingerbread + Root Droid Pro

Tzabar

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a Droid Pro and am running it on Froyo (2.2.1). My original plan was to Gingerbread OTA and then root using the "one click" method Pete's Tools outlined. However, there doesn't seem to be any such update coming from Verizon and that leaves me with 2 options: updating with the "captured" Gingerbread zip file posted on this forum OR going the TBH route.

This leaves me with 3 questions:

1) Which method has the most updated version of Gingerbread? I know the "captured" file is 2.3.3, is TBH newer? Or, would either natively update once installed and render this point moot?
2) If I should go the "captured" file route, how do I actually update my phone to Gingerbread? Do I sbf it using moto tools and with that file?
3) If I should go the TBH route, how should I root my phone first? I see that z4root is no longer an option....

Thank you!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. I believe they are both the same version.
2. You place the file (renamed update.zip) on your sdcard using your PC, and flash in recovery.
3. You can root Froyo on the DPro, using aroot, or gingerbreak, IIRC.

OP
T

Tzabar

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for being an amateur, but I've got ask about "flashing in recovery." I'm admittedly new to the rooting scene and am still trying to get a grasp on the entire process. My understanding thus far is that "flashing in recovery" was a process done through "clockwork mod" (sp) and was used to install a custom ROM once the phone was rooted. Is that what I would be doing with this new file?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the patience to explain things.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the file is a signed VZW file it can be flashed in stock recovery via (Boot into Recovery - DPro).

That is where you would flash with recovery using the "apply update.zip" selection.