Update to Gingerbread after Root?

droidn3wb

Reaction score
Hello, I coming over from a bb, and as my username would indicate, I am a new to this (I have no clue what SBF means). I have searched around a bit but haven't found an answer to this:

My Pro is running on 3.8.7 and I have successfully rooted by using petesoneclick method. I have the update.zip 2.3 Gingerbreak.apk on my SD card but I have yet to install it and am starting to wonder if I did this backwards. Can I update to Gingerbread after rooting? or do I need to unroot, update to gingerbread, and then reroot?

If that is the case, how do I go about unrooting? I clicked unroot on pete's tool but got the message "Error: backup does not exist." Also, for what its worth I have installed bootstrap for droid 2, as I read somewhere that it is necessary. Thanks in advance for any help!

ps- I basically just rooted for tethering so is updating to gingerbread worth it or should I just stick with my rooted 3.8.7?

google123

Reaction score
I don't believe that tethering works on GB without VZ knowing about it. I could be wrong though.

Anyways, if you are already rooted, you can use the leaked GB and then root using a new root method that was found called one-click simple root or something like that. Or you can find the TBH pre-rooted GB (2part install) files that someone posted around here somewhere and you will have a rooted GB once you reboot your phone. Good luck.

Last edited: