Gingerbread on Droid Pro with Unlocked Froyo Radio

OP
N

ngtwolf

Reaction score
These commands need to be run via ADB as Superuser, which creates new image files.
So far I have verified that this works (creates the files) but the next step will have to wait
until tomorrow.

Using the original kernel.ZIP file, replace the image files with the newly created ones.

The whole process is complicated further by the latest OTA update removing root capability.
I have successfully rooted the latest OTA by using OTA Rootkeeper prior to running the update.

I am beginning to wonder if these phones are worth all of this trouble. I will post later and report
my success or failure.

Actually, the next step is pretty easy, just open the zip on windows and drag the 3 files into the zip... works pretty easy on windows with 7-zip. Thanks for documenting what you did. it was the same thing i did when i created the original zip file, and like you, I had to spend hours trying to search the internet to figure out how to do it... since that was back in november i had long forgotten what to do and didn't feel like putting in the effort again. Obviously i should have written it down like you did. :)

I've been wondering the same as you about the effort... more and more I'm beginning to think not. It wouldn't be so bad if there was at least one fully working stable rom to fall back on between the weekend tweaking, but even the stock one is buggy and slow as hell.

Please share a clean clockworkmod backup and your new kernel when you do, that would be a great help.

dettofatto

Reaction score
Thank you! I've extracted my froyo kernel from my european droid, then ive applied my froyo kernel and european backup on american droid pro!
And now i have american droid pro, with european rom!!!!
And it is very stable!
After i give you a tutorial and links!
This step are very good for European pro, because we dont have any sbf! And so with this kernel we can restore european froyo, on european pro, if we had update to ics, or cgm7...

I've extracted my froyo kernel from my european droid, then i've applied my froyo kernel and european backup on american droid pro! And now i have american droid pro, with european rom!!!! And it is very stable! This step are very good for European pro, because we don't have any sbf.

--- Before you must do your backup ----

1) Download and put Froyo Kernel on your sdcard http://db.tt/3xSQtgfI after download nandroid european backup http://db.tt/TaTEX2QG (extract this backup from rar and put the 5 files in your sd in a newnew folder named euoropeanfroyo (without space) and then put this new folder under clockwordmod/backup) .
2) Reboot in clockword mod
2a) backup and restore - backup
3) Install from zip and choose froyo kernel don't reboot
4) choose backup and restore and restore nandroid european backup don't reboot
5) wipe all data
6) now reboot

If you want restore your backup see this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1532219 (before you must install ics, and then reboot in clockwordmod and install your backup...)

This kernel don't change your radio!

Thanks to: ngtwolf, jackpotClavin and JohnS

Last edited:

nnaveaa

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in the same boat here. I do have an old blackberry sitting at work that the SIM came from, but I'm not about to resort to that. :) That's why I only do testing (like with the new ICS) on the weekends, since I need my phone working during the week. I'm thinking about getting a new phone anyway, so if I do than i'll be more inclined to do more aggressive testing. :) I really wanted the physical portrait keyboard android phone, but the locked bootloader combined with the lack of devs, the increasing amount of new apps that don't work on it and the poor screen/camera have made me decide to start looking again.

I'm waiting for a phone to come with ICS that I like, the Note has my interest but $300 on-contract and no ICS yet is holding me back. I do like the physical keyboard, but I'm starting to accept (sadly) that physical keyboards are going to be limited or not available for Android devices. If I could just stretch a few more months out of the Pro before regulating it to an emergency device, that would be awesome.

JohnS

Reaction score
new kernel from 4.7.3...
You can try...
http://db.tt/UITGEclZ

I did a compare of the image files in your ZIP to the ones I created and they are binary equals. The only difference I found was just a comment in the script file:

ui_print("Droid Pro 4.7.3 Kernel");

I had updated mine so it displays the correct message on the screen.

I am very close to finishing now, just SBFing back to 2.26.60 and doing OTA update again to restore the radio.

JohnS

Reaction score
With my 4.7.3 kernel or yours? Because I can't try if locked because I'm in Italy...

They are identical. The process for getting it to work is the same as before once you have the clockworkmod backup and the Kernel.

To install 4.7.3 OTA update, you need to be running 4.6.8 unrooted with the factory boot image.

Best way to do it:

1. install 4.6.8 OTA
2. root but do not install anything except OTA rootkeeper
3. use OTA rootkeeper to backup root and then temp. Unroot
4. run 4.7.3 OTA update
5. use OTA rootkeeper to restore SU
6. install clockworkmod and create backup
7. SBF back and OTA update to 2.26.60 (to restore radio)
8. root and install clockworkmod

Then finally for the final install from recovery:
1. factory reset / clear cache / clear dalvik
2. install TBH band unlock ZIP
3. install 4.7.3 kernel update ZIP
4. restore 4.7.3 system from clockworkmod backup

It works. I made test calls and sent messages last night. :biggrin:

dettofatto

Reaction score
Yes I've seen also in mine, but i did'nt confirm if it was locked or no, beacuse i'm in Italy..
I can see that now my wifi it is ok!

OP
N

ngtwolf

Reaction score
I would like to share with you my good clean nandroid backup, but i've seen that I can't restore it,I really don't know why. But I've seen that my rom runs ok...
and all steps are ok...
New Kernel: KernelPROGB473.zip
TBH Unlock: TBH_Band_Unlock_v2.0.zip

Thanks for sharing. I've had the problem with restoring in the past as well, but in my case I was thinking the issue was that I had backed up with a different version of clockworkmod than i had tried to restore with.

JohnS

Reaction score
Here are the files to take your PRO to 4.7.3

Creation of the Kernel update is documented earlier in the thread, as well as instructions on how to apply it. The clockworkmod backup was created from an OTA update, with root restored using OTA Rootkeeper. Clockworkmod recovery was installed to make the backup. Other than this, it is 100% stock for you to customize however you like. Verizons junk is all still on it too.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I was considering getting a new phone, but now I think I will stretch another year or two out of the PRO. It really is an excellent phone.

4.7.3 Kernel:
1-PRO-473-kernel.zip

4.7.3 Clockworkmod file
4.7.3.XT610.Verizon.en.US.zip

Note on SBF'ing back:

I was browsing the messages regarding the SBF brick issues on other Droid's. And there is one report of a PRO having the same issue. So I would caution anyone who moves to 4.7.3, it is possible that verizon / motorola changed the bootloader and SBF'ing back could damage your phone. I SBF'd back no less than 5 times and had no issues. I was using RSD Lite 4.9 on Windows 7 64-bit. Because I only have a 2.26.20 SBF file, this is the one I used. I am wondering if the bootloader was changed in 4.7.3 and 2.26.20 being the initial release might be the only one that completely rewrites everything? Only speculation on my part. If anyone has a better explanation I am interested to know the cause. It might save time to SBF to a later version but now I wonder if I was lucky to only have the oldest one.

OP
N

ngtwolf

Reaction score
Here are the files to take your PRO to 4.7.3

Creation of the Kernel update is documented earlier in the thread, as well as instructions on how to apply it. The clockworkmod backup was created from an OTA update, with root restored using OTA Rootkeeper. Clockworkmod recovery was installed to make the backup. Other than this, it is 100% stock for you to customize however you like. Verizons junk is all still on it too.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I was considering getting a new phone, but now I think I will stretch another year or two out of the PRO. It really is an excellent phone.

4.7.3 Kernel:
1-PRO-473-kernel.zip

4.7.3 Clockworkmod file
4.7.3.XT610.Verizon.en.US.zip

Note on SBF'ing back:

I was browsing the messages regarding the SBF brick issues on other Droid's. And there is one report of a PRO having the same issue. So I would caution anyone who moves to 4.7.3, it is possible that verizon / motorola changed the bootloader and SBF'ing back could damage your phone. I SBF'd back no less than 5 times and had no issues. I was using RSD Lite 4.9 on Windows 7 64-bit. Because I only have a 2.26.20 SBF file, this is the one I used. I am wondering if the bootloader was changed in 4.7.3 and 2.26.20 being the initial release might be the only one that completely rewrites everything? Only speculation on my part. If anyone has a better explanation I am interested to know the cause. It might save time to SBF to a later version but now I wonder if I was lucky to only have the oldest one.

Great, thanks for all your work, I updated the original post for folks. I had also made a clockworkmod (apparently doing this the same time you were, if I had known, I would have just waiting for you...haha). My clockworkmod backup is also stock, except it has the bootloader and titanium backup already on it but still has all the verizon crapware. In any case, I included links to both your kernel and dettofatto's as well as your clockworkmod and mine... maybe with multiple options it will give people things to try if they have a problem.

Also, similar to you, I had no issues SBF'ing back and forth between the versions. I also used the original version. I really didn't understand what people said about it not being able to revert back, didn't really make sense to me technical wise, but whatever. :)

Anyway, hopefully the instructions are updated correctly, it's late and I'm tired.