Been away - which ROMs?

greycobalt

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Good to know. If you do, what do you use to back up your data when you flash? I would hate setting up my phone every time! I want to try ROMs out, but that's my primary roadblock.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Good to know. If you do, what do you use to back up your data when you flash? I would hate setting up my phone every time! I want to try ROMs out, but that's my primary roadblock.

My installation process goes like this (I am going to be general here, but I can expand on anything if necessary):

1 - Make a backup with titanium backup. I backup everything, data and system data.

2 - Make an update.zip of TiBu if I haven't done one in a while (this is an option in TiBu). This app updates quite often, so I do this semi-frequently.

3 - Using a custom launcher make a backup of my screen setup and it's settings. Apex, Nova, Holo, and many others exist out there. If you don't change settings or setup of launcher, you may not have to update this as often.

4 - If ROM has option make a backup of it's settings. Not all ROMs have this option. Roman from AOKP has made a backup app for AOKP in the market as an example. Some have options built in.

5 - Reboot into recovery.

6 - Make a full backup. To be completely honest, I skip this step sometimes (quite often actually). Not really recommended to skip this step, but I do dumb things from time to time out of laziness.

7 - Perform installation method (wipe, install, install gapps, and installing TiBu from it's update.zip...etc).

8 - Reboot into Android and sign into gmail.

9 - Restore apps and data (no system data) via TiBu.

10 - Restore ROM settings. If there wasn't a backup option, this may have to be done manually. Some may have to be done manually regardless.

11 - Restore stuff via launcher's restoration options.

12 - Reboot and enjoy.

Note this is just my process, there are many different ways to achieve similar results. While it seems long, it only sets me back ~20 minutes, a lot of which doesn't require my attention. The TiBu parts are the longest, and were I not such an app hoarder, I could probably accomplish a lot of this in close to half the time. I tend to do this while I am playing a game, watching TV/movie, or browsing the internet. I don't do this every day, so ~20 minutes here and there isn't so bad imo. I haven't done a full wipe in over a week now.

jfriend33

Reaction score
I would not restore any data from titanium. Using titanium to restore just apps has even caused some ppl problems.

I've found the best battery life to be liquid beta 2. I also use trinity kernel. The display is slightly dimmed overall which helps. Disable any apps you don't use, like Google plus, talk, etc.

Install cpu spy to see what mhz you're using the most. Get Better Battery Stats to see if there's a bad app causing wake locks.

I'm able to get a full day of heavy use with nearly 4 hours of screen on time on my stock extended battery. That's with wifi, gps, and 4g off.