Which ROM do you prefer?

jacobydarkon

Reaction score
Custom Roms

I agree with the previous post that you do have to try them all.

With that said, I will try and give you my experiences with several roms that I have used.

I have used Ultimate Droid 7.0, Bugless Beast v .4, Cyanogenmod 6, and Simply Stunning 4.72.

Ultimate Droid 7.0 was my first attempt at loading a custom rom. It went well and I enjoyed. It ran well, but a little slow for my taste. The newest version, 8.0, gives you more customization without restarting the phone. That was something that bothered me about some of these roms. The need to restart because you want to edit the colors or fonts. I can't go into great detail because I never used all of the features, but UD offers the ability to control music without unlocking the phone.

Bugless Beast v .4 was probably the smoothest of them all. I didn't notice a lot of slow down with this rom. With that said, I couldn't figure out how to do a lot of customization with it except loading themes. Also, this version comes preloaded with a 1 ghz kernel, something I thought was awesome because it was already built in.

Cyanogenmod 6 is a stable rom and was my first attempt at loading my own kernel. All went well. A very good rom. Very stable. No real problems to mention. What I will say is that from reading all the changelogs of at least a dozen different roms, I would say that they pretty much all have a little bit of Cyanogen in them. Either built using the CM framework or pulling bits and pieces from it, Cyanogenmod is, in my belief, the base or part of the base of most new roms today.

The last rom, Simply Stunning 4.72 with built in theme, is probably my favorite. It runs the best with very little glitches. It has the ability to hide things like the clock, 3g, wifi, etc. It gives you the ability to change the colors of the notification bar without restart. You can delete system apps that you don't or won't use, something most roms do, but I have found the best success in Simply Stunning. Starting and restarting the phone is also something I noticed. It is the fastest of all the roms I have tried. I was very impressed with this.

I hope this helps. These are only my opinions. If anyone has anything to add, please do.

guyinlaca

Reaction score
My vote goes to UltimateDroid 8. I ran BB v.4 and really enjoyed it, however, there were a lot of beta type bugs that drove me nuts. UltimateDroid 8 has all the options I love (Volume toggle between vibrate & silent, Ability to change fonts, boot animations all from the UI, and so many more options)

OP
b-jammin21

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Truth of the matter nemet is that none of the developers here kick out ROMS that are inferior to one another.

You will have your fans of certain developer's and they will all claim its the best but the reality of the situation is that they are ALL great.

I have run every ROM on this site.

It all comes down to what kind of features you are looking for. To say one ROM is better than the next is simply misinformation. Try them all and decide for yourself.

Polls and threads on this will not give you the answer you are looking for. There will always be bias.

You have the best developers on the net in one place right here. Take advantage of it :) Don't limit yourself to a few peoples opinions.

Get flashing : )

Sent from my Droid

I'm not trying to look for one ROM that is inferior or superior to another. I'm not sure you understand my original post, and what I am actually looking for. What I'm looking for are indeed people's actual opinions of which ROMs that they prefer. I'm asking for bias, subjective opinions. I know these are hard to base facts on, but this is actually what I was originally intending on discovering - people's opinions. It's almost a matter of curiosity, too. I'm interested to know what others think. Therefore, everyone has had a perfectly legitimate, helpful post. And for that, thanks guys.

@jacoby
Wow, great information. Thanks a ton that really helps a lot and is exactly what I was looking for.

I will for sure be trying different ROMs, but I like to hear what people have to say, and also, how they made different ROMs work for them. Good stuff guys, keep it coming.

Last edited:

Jmart922

Reaction score
I've been using Lithium Mod/Nextheme and I love it, couldn't be happier, but I do like that watermarked theme so I think I might give it a try but yeah Lithium Mod runs super stable and fast on this here phone!

pmbarrontx

Reaction score
I have tried pretty much everything out there and my Droid likes Ultimate Droid Extreme 7. Slap a chevy#1 kernal(1.25 ghz lv) and she purrs. I tried UD Ex 8 and went back to 7 instantly. I also like SS 4.7. Ill try out 4.8 when it rolls out.

SlvrEvoIX

Reaction score
Always had bugless roms, then tried chevys and it wasn't working just right ( lol I really didn't give it 10 mins before I flashed back), got a warranty replacement and decided to try liquids rom and its my favorite by far.

Liquid is the jam

OP
b-jammin21

b-jammin21

Reaction score
So I've been flashing different roms and I have a couple gripes that are seriously irritating me....

So far I have flashed CyanogenMod, Sapphire, Bugless Beast, Ultimate Droid, and ShadowRom. There are 2 problems that continue to occur:

1. Freezes up my whole phone for about 15 mins or more, sometimes reboots randomly.

2. I can't open ANY of the additional settings (other than UD). It won't open before it says it has stopped working and force closes. ALL of them.

This is getting very irritating to the point that I might consider flashing back to stock and getting rid of root access all together. Has anyone else been experiencing the same problems or have any kind of solution? I want to be rooted, but not if NO ROMs will work properly. Thanks guys.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
nemets88 are you wiping data and cache before installing a ROM ?

KsKnightmare

Reaction score
ive tried most roms and so far i like Bugless Beast the best, i woud say liquid froyo or simply stunning is a close second.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Why are these even being compared. There is no doubt that CM is miles and miles above BB, mostly in this version. I personally feel like BB has a large fanbase for some reason, but I really don't think the ROM itself (at least version 0.4) even comes close to some other ROMs out there. Maybe the 0.5 version will give it more power...

OP
b-jammin21

b-jammin21

Reaction score
nemets88 are you wiping data and cache before installing a ROM ?

I actually just saw that in another post just now. I will give it a try and let you know if it works. Thanks a million for the help.

EDIT: It worked. Thanks again.

Last edited:

wojtalsd

Reaction score
I have used Cyanogen, Sapphire, BB, and SS. I keep going back to SS. Just seems to work best with my phone. Im sure I will keep trying others!