Been away - which ROMs?

Coots

Reaction score
Hey guys - I've been away from the scene for a good bit. Got the Nexus on launch, Unlocked and rooted it.. haven't been around much after that.

Which ROM's do you guys consider the best so far? Looking to flash one to jump into it, kinda curious what your thoughts are.

A couple names I recognize from the OG days ... Bugless Beast / Cyangen Mod etc.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
AOKP seems to be the most popular. Cm9 is solid as is ICSourcery

ohcop72

Reaction score

ICSOURCERY:
They have been Solid Stable. About to release version 2 and have toolbox like no other. Push Notifications, Version updates right to toolbox, a lot of customization. Have not been on any other rom since I got this one. I say Flash version2 as soon as it drops, probably in the next day or so.

JMHO.....

Verro84

Reaction score
ICSourcery! Great rom with lots of features

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

kookk

Reaction score
I've tried just about every from I could find. I've been pretty loyal to gummy.

My biggest thing is battery life. I'm not huge into tweaking the appearance of phone but gummy does have a lot of options, especially when the toolkit gets updated to the gnexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

donjuan08

Reaction score
ive also tired just about every rom there is for the nexus. my favorite has to be any of the theory axiom roms the patent zero and the axiom pickr.. and then i would say AOKP with all the themes and mods you will never stop flashing.... Try axiom patent zero first if you decide with theory roms

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Granted it doesn't have all the fancy customization settings as most of the other ROMs (but that's the point of it, to remain close to stock), but I like Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast. It's on 4.0.4, runs really smooth, I have excelent battery life, and you can overclock the kernel if needed. I have tried Gummy but I went back to Bugless Beast after a few hours. If you don't want a whole lot of extra customizations, I'd recommend it. I also use it on my Xoom.

nleksan

Reaction score
I realize this thread is a little old, but there isn't much activity in this sub-forum...

That said, I would suggest checking out the newest releases of GummyJar Nexus! I have been using GummyNex very consistently since 0.9.x and I have never had any serious problems/bugs!
The most current stable release is 1.2.5 and it includes imoseyen's newest LeanKernel 3.8.0 which has all kinds of wizardry in it and really strengthens the ROM itself!

I find the best combination for me to be:
GummyJar Nexus 1.2.5 ROM + Included LeanKernel
- ROM Toolkit PRO
- Titanium Backup PRO
- APEX Launcher PRO
(the free versions of ROM Toolkit and APEX are included with GummyNex, but I like the Pro versions better; plus, I like to support devs when they make such amazing apps!)

I have experienced significant signal improvements ranging from as little as 10% (in already super-strong areas) to as much as 500% (such as near my house), based on an average of 5x download/upload SpeedTest.net results. I haven't had my phone force-reboot in at least a month and a half (knock on wood), haven't dropped a single call, and maxed out my download speed at 39.5Mbps and upload at 19.8Mbps!!

The only problem I have is that my Browser force closes VERY often... :/ I don't know what the deal is, but if I have more than a couple tabs open, and open one in the background, it will freeze and give me the "wait or close" option box. Weird thing is, it doesn't happen all the time - in fact, I can go two weeks with it happening maybe 1-2x total despite constantly having 5-15 tabs open at once, and then suddenly it will happen for a week force-closing 5-15x/day ??? Very frustrating! I don't think it's the ROM's fault, though.

baldybill

Reaction score
So, alot of mixed reviews here and there.

Which Jelly Bean ROM would be the most stable with the best battery life (with or without cutomizations)?

Thanks!

david14807

Reaction score
I too have tried lots of ROMs and keep coming back to Cyanogen.
For ICS, CM9 and for Jeely Bean CM10.

Lerner

Reaction score
You won't find much about it on these boards (I'm not sure why, but there it is), but I've seen nothing but good things from Euroskank's CM10's nightlies. Search around on google to read more about it.

greycobalt

Reaction score
So, help out a total noob with nightlies. Do these people just flash their phone with something new every night? Do they wipe it too? I have my phone so personalized and so many apps that I have to log into that it sounds like a total nightmare to be flashing multiple times a week. Is it in general people who use their phone more for an actual phone, as opposed to a PDA-type device?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
So, help out a total noob with nightlies. Do these people just flash their phone with something new every night? Do they wipe it too? I have my phone so personalized and so many apps that I have to log into that it sounds like a total nightmare to be flashing multiple times a week. Is it in general people who use their phone more for an actual phone, as opposed to a PDA-type device?

It depends on the user. For the crackflashers, perhaps they do flash something every night. There are a lot of folks out there that foam at the mouth for the chance to flash just about anything. Realistically, I would guess most people skip flashing something every night. Even though it is a relatively quick and painless process, perhaps the user just doesn't have the time to spare to flash something every night. Especially for the folks that like to make backups prior to flashing or like to have extras like a custom kernel that doesn't come with the nightly (more things to install).

Personally I don't care about every update. If you go through the changes made since your last update, there may not be a good reason to update every version. Perhaps they implemented some changes that I don't care about, and it would just be a waste of time and bandwidth to download the new nightly. Recently I have been building a nightly with some cherry picks for myself about every other day.

Do you have to wipe? Most of the time no. There are some exceptions to this rule, but I don't wipe every nightly. If I notice a problem that I would think may not be ROM/app related, I may do a wipe before the next one. Or depending on bad the problem is, I may do a wipe and reinstall sooner. I have gotten my backup > wipe > flash > restore process down to a science, to where it is almost painless. Outside of Google's two step authentication and a little time (quite a bit of which is the phone doing it's own thing), I don't object to a wipe at all.