Battery question

wildbill86

Reaction score
If I let my battery run almost dead, open bootstrapper, and wipe battery stats, then let my phone charge turned off for several hours, will that help battery life? I have read these batteries don't have memories, so I was just curious.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

biknut1

Reaction score
Battery life- what else?

If I let my battery run almost dead, open bootstrapper, and wipe battery stats, then let my phone charge turned off for several hours, will that help battery life? I have read these batteries don't have memories, so I was just curious.

I think the jury is still out on this one. I read some folks on here saying that li-on has no memory, just put it in and turn it on won't hurt it.
Another group says charge it completely, run it till it dies, then recharge it completely again. Still yet another group says charge it till it is full, then unplug it immediately.

Who's to believe? I say your own experiences. Some folks state that they are Electrical Engineers or some kind of battery professional guru. But they have a different take on this very subject. So I'm thinking that just maybe no one really knows for sure.

What have you tried so far? Are you rooted? If so, do you use Set CPU or another battery saver app?

zBusterCB87

Reaction score

I think the jury is still out on this one. I read some folks on here saying that li-on has no memory, just put it in and turn it on won't hurt it.
Another group says charge it completely, run it till it dies, then recharge it completely again. Still yet another group says charge it till it is full, then unplug it immediately.

Who's to believe? I say your own experiences. Some folks state that they are Electrical Engineers or some kind of battery professional guru. But they have a different take on this very subject. So I'm thinking that just maybe no one really knows for sure.

What have you tried so far? Are you rooted? If so, do you use Set CPU or another battery saver app?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ion-battery-droid-smartphone.html#post1471627

Hope this helps everyone :)

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
I am freshly rooted, and hace set cpu, still tweaking it, and juice defender.

phonetool

Reaction score
I think going from 100% to dead (which is nowhere near 0V on the battery, by the way) is useful only for recalibration of the phone's battery info. Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, it's not generally a good idea to run the full cycle on Li-Ions very often.

So far as I have come to understand (and I'm going to go read that link above, too), Li-Ion batteries don't have a "memory" like other chemistries do. They do seem to need some breaking in before they attain their best potential (no pun intended).
The phones, however, *do* have a 'battery memory' and this is what people are resetting and recalibrating in order to 'wake up' an old battery.

zBusterCB87

Reaction score
The batteries themselves do not have a memory...
But the battery pack might have an on-board chip like some laptop computers...
This means the chip will hold some kind of memory about the battery charge and with use this chip can loose it's calibration...
If that's the case, then there are probably ways to calibrate the chip...

But the batteries still need their proper care like in the link...

The only thing the chip might need is a calibration once in a while...
And if not it is not bad, it only causes a nusance for the user because it will read wrong and can make the battery life seem like less when the batteries are just fine...lol

Hope this helps...

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are some good calibration apps in the market

Sent from my rooted DROID2