Battery percentage only shows in 10% increments?!?

pastorgadget

Reaction score
Every battery indicator widget I have tried on my D2G only shows my battery percentage in 10% jumps--for example, always "80%" or "40%" and never "86%" or "43%". I see screen shots of the same battery widgets on other machines showing more precise percentages, but my D2G only ever does the ten percents. Short of rooting, is there any way to get this lovely machine to be a bit more precise in its reporting of my battery level?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
pastorgadget

pastorgadget

Reaction score
Yep, that works. Thank you.

But it still begs the question of why the others (widgetsoid, MinimalisticText, Simi Clock Battery widget, et al.) DON'T work the same. It must be a "feature" that VZW cooked into this version of Froyo. ;-)

Thanks again for the reply.

OP
pastorgadget

pastorgadget

Reaction score
One more thing: even the system's own Battery indicator under Settings also only shows 10% increments. Annoying.

knivesout

Reaction score
No problem. It is strange that this widget can pretty accurately count down your battery percentage but no other apps, widgets, or custom ROMs have this incorporated. On the market page for CBW he says the next version will support having the battery percentage in the status bar which is nice. Would be really great if this got included in some other apps, ROMs, etc.

OP
pastorgadget

pastorgadget

Reaction score
I think a lot of the time when I have seen MinimalisticText in a screen shot, the person was using a custom ROM. That might explain the different behavior. I was just trying to avoid having yet another widget running, but CBM will do nicely for now.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Devmil (creator of Minimalistic Text) included an update to this awhile back for the battery percentage to be able to read in 1% increments. It even worked while my phone wasn't rooted and using a custom ROM a couple times (doing work to fix issues).

There are ways to get your phone to read in 1% increments but you have to tear it apart and add quite a few stuff to get it to work.

Jordan8

Reaction score
I use an app called Motocharge, it puts the 1% increment up in the status bar. It's less then a dollar on the market if you want to support the dev, or it's free over @ xda.

Reaction score
Im guessing whoever makes the circle widget, the dev behind it, was really creative, intelligent, and innovative to get the widget to find out the battery charge better than the built in battery indicator and all other apps on the market.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Jordan8

Reaction score
Im guessing whoever makes the circle widget, the dev behind it, was really creative, intelligent, and innovative to get the widget to find out the battery charge better than the built in battery indicator and all other apps on the market.

All it has to do is read the percent from a file in /sys lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Natey2

Reaction score

/sys/class/power_supply/battery/charge_counter

Jordan8

Reaction score

Yeah, no idea why roms dont use this file rather then whereever they get the 10%

Natey2

Reaction score

Yeah, no idea why roms dont use this file rather then whereever they get the 10%

Some possibilities:

Was charge_counter only present in Android 2.2+ ?

Polling more frequently for 1% change detection drains more battery than polling less frequently for 10% change detection?