Battery Pack or Charger for Razr Maxx HD

DuggyLou

Reaction score
I work long hours on the road. I'd like to have a portable charging option because I am a heavy user and some days I'm away 18 hours from home. I don't like car chargers because I've had mixed results with them. Often I would feel my previous phone, Droid X overheating when using them. . Has anyone tried a battery pack/charger with their Razr Maxx HD? I'd like to be able to recharge on the fly and have the pack shut itself down at full charge..

geoff5093

Reaction score
I never had issues using a car charger on my TB, MAXX HD, or Note 2. I just buy a USB cigarette adapter and plug in a USB cable.

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
I've never had experience with them but I know you can find many different varieties and sizes on Amazon. I was looking at them the other day and they are not too bad. I saw one with 10,000 mAh for like $50! That's three times the battery in our phones

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
I never had issues using a car charger on my TB, MAXX HD, or Note 2. I just buy a USB cigarette adapter and plug in a USB cable.

I had some really cheap ones that I found online (DealExtreme I think; it was a company in China) and they were good but overheated a lot. I didn't see my phone overheat but the charger was too hot to hold right away. I gave one to my buddy but his lasted only a month and then another one I gave him did the same. I had been using the same one though for a year and it was fine. But the Griffin ones are a little more expensive, like $5, but are supposedly better. I think the overheating of the charger (not the phone) is actually normal and is a result of the charging process, in which it releases heat to convert energy or something like that.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm out and about away from electricity quite often (especially when I'm overseas), and I've been using this 7,000 mAh external charger from New Trent for about a year now. It works amazingly well. I haven't had any issues with any of the phones I've charged with it (Rezound, iPhone 4S, Galaxy Nexus, RAZR MAXX, and Galaxy S3). It has two USB ports, so you can charge two devices at once. One of the USB ports is rated at 2.1A and can charge a tablet. The device itself is charged via microUSB, so it's nice to not have to carry an extra proprietary cable. It's also quite thin and light for as much power as it's packing. Overall, I found it to be the best combination of power and size for someone like me who is a frequent traveler and likes to carry a minimal amount of things. It also maintains a charge extremely well when not in use.

If you browse Amazon, you'll see that New Trent is one of the most highly rated external charger manufacturers. At present, the one I linked to has a 4.5 star rating through 333 reviews. All of their other chargers have similarly high marks. I'd avoid some of the really cheap packs out there and go with something reliable from a respected brand like New Trent. They have a lot of different sizes and form factors, so there's likely to be several that will be what you're looking for.

Last edited: