Battery Life

REXXX

Reaction score
im just talking about it being in my pocket for like 5 hours at work then i would us the web/facebook/ games for a half an hour and it would go to 90%. not 5 hours of straight use if thats how you interpeted it haha, my bad.

stryguy

Reaction score
Here's my problem with the battery usage. I charged mine to 100% unplugged it from the charger, turned off Wifi + bluetooth + gps and left it on my night stand for the night unplugged. I wake up and it's down to 50% charge and reports that the display used 67% of the battery so far that charge.....

Umm.. the display was off. It was sitting on my night stand. How in the world is it using 67% of the charge when it's off?

So with everything off they claim a 200+ hour standby time. I burned through 50% of my battery in 6 hours.

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
uhh the battery indicator is like a pyramid? you'll get the last 194 hours out of the residual 50%? ;)

Hope you folks work it out.... my battery life isn't amaaazing but doesn't seem awful we'll see...

The phone has basically constantly been streaming internet radio here... see when it dies... well dropped 20% over the first hour of streaming? screen mostly off few phone calls...

phatkat66

Reaction score
I love the battery results im getting so far. Unplugged at 100% at 5:30 am this morning. CONSTANT usage traveling to work (about 2 hours) plugged into the computer for 5 minutes to transfer files, at work by 9:30am at 70% power still constantly touching this thing.... and im at work where i have bad service in my office and i forgot to turn off 3G so the strain on my battery and now its at 30% 2:30 in the afternoon. Amazing, coming from the droid1 my battery would of been dead around 12 noon. I love it! I installed apps like task killer and juice defender but I haven't even set them up yet, too busy admiring the screen and showing off how huge it is. I love big phone >_<

Elkay

Reaction score
Umm.. this thing came out yesterday. It's a good rule of thumb to do a couple full charge/discharge cycles (letting it run until it powers off) so that the phone learns what a full charge/discharge state of the battery is. This will make the battery indicator far more accurate. You could be reading 20% but in reality have more like 50% because the phone doesn't know what the exact point of shutdown really is.

Using a live wallpaper or tons of widgets (especially ones that sync) will also really hurt battery life. I don't mind a few widgets, but I also have no problem syncing my news feeds when I'm actually going to read them. It's also a good idea to get ATK so you can kill programs running in the background that you aren't using. This was one of the biggest problems with people *****ing about the Evo battery life. Once they took these measures, battery life improved drastically. Sure 4G still sucks the juice, but if you also turn off WiFi/GPS/BT (and 4G in the case of the Evo) when you're not using them, that really helps a lot, too.

Properly trained/maintained, I'm sure most people will find battery life very, very good on this device. The one factor that could really hurt people is being in a low-coverage area for extended periods of time. Not much you can do about that one, unfortuntely, unless it's your home and you opt to purchase a coverage extender.

REXXX

Reaction score
well i was playing with turning all those weather, news, social networking etc. widgets off and i think my battery is doing better.we shall see soon if it really did a lot for the life.

i do remember that when i first got my droid it would be at full charge then 2 hours later it would show that it had 5% battery left but was actually still charged fully so maybe this is doing a similar process like stated above.

stryguy

Reaction score
So I turned off my phone to charge it. Charged from 30% to 90% in about 1 hour. It's been charging from 90% to 100% now for 3 hours.

I need to formulate some type of test for when the battery reaches 100%.

Reaction score
I have good battery life on mine, here's what I did:

• Charged battery to full before turning it on/activating for the first time.
  • After activation, while setting up mail/accounts/apps, kept it charging.
  • Change Display Settings>Brightness and slide down as far as you want (I can still deal with the lowest setting).
  • Go into Battery Manager, change profile to Power Saver.
  • Change Default Brightness down to lowest comfortable setting.
I have had the phone on since 1pm EST, it's now 6:40pm and I am at 70% power left in battery.

I have 3 email accounts (1 of which is Corporate Sync) and facebook widgets running. If you have Corporate Sync and your sever will accept it, be sure to choose "PUSH" rather than to have it Poll for data every xx minutes... that can kill your battery (in my experience anyway).

djaedye

Reaction score
I just got my DX on the 15th. I let it die, turned it off, charged it to 100% and then used it. I worked it hard setting it up and loading apps for 4 hours and drained it down to 30% in that time with everything going full force. Today, I had charged it all night used it from 7am to 4pm with e-mail, web, pictures, messages, and four short calls. I have App Killer, the screen was set to 40% and no WIFI, GPS, or BT. I was at 30% by 4pm. Is this normal?

Matt_m

Reaction score
my battery died right away, so i figured being the big screen that it sucked the juice. i went in the applications in the settings and found that skype and a whole bunch of other programs were always running that i never use, and that would always pop up in atk to kill but never did. i tapped them to turn them off and noticed some decent improvements to my battery life. hope this is useful info.

just4747

Reaction score
Here's an example of how mine seems to be draining too fast. I have only a few network-updating widgets that are set at the minimum to update only 30 min or more. Also, wifi, bluetooth, and gps are off, and screen is on auto-brightness.

Took the phone off the charger at 11 this morning after being at 100% for a while overnight, and did maybe one text msg, read a few emails and checked Twitter updates via the app, and general browsing of the phone menus and apps (nothing major at all that would drain a battery), and within 15 minutes, the battery was down to 90% according to the Status screen.

Is this normal to most of you? By the sound of it, many of you seem to have wayyyy better life, and I'm getting nervous lol.

Also, in my room, it is staying mostly on 1x but not all the time. And I have the beautiful widgets - beautiful home clock/weather widget but that's set to pull only every hour or two. No live wallpaper. Screen timeout in 15 seconds.

EDIT:

And now about 30 minutes later, after a few more small things like more texting (maybe about 4 texts), and more general phone browsing over that period of time like trying to load an HQ Youtube video that never loaded, it is now at 80%. Come on really? This reminds me of my BB Storm and its horrid battery life. Is this what I should continue to expect within an hour of light use?

EDIT2: And now at 12:30, maybe 20 more minutes later after only doing maybe 1 or 2 more texts and some menu option changes within settings, it is now showing as 70%.

EDIT3: Now at 60% after playing only 2 Pandora songs and typing up some notepad memos.

This is really pissing me off.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Having worked in the cell phone industry i have never trusted any o the" let your battery die the first time" or the "power off when giving the first charge" techniques, but i tried them both this time and i have to say the results i'm seeing are phenominal. I have an uptime of 10 hours and 27 minutes and im at 80%. This is after searching for, installing, and restoring 70+ apps total, browsing this forum for a total of about an hour, customizing every one of my home screens with widgets and icons, watching 7 or.8 youtube videos (varying in length) and sending/receiving about 100 messages. This is all with auto-brightness, wifi, and bluetooth on the entire time. I have honestly never experienced battery life like this since my old curve 8330 (2-3 days). Sorry for gushing, but im literally stunned by this. Who knows, maybe give the method i used a try or see about getting your battery replaced.

Ps, didn't install advanced.task killer and im using launcher pro with all of the memory eating settings turned on. Still at 80%

Good luck

Very impressive!

the064cobra

Reaction score
Battery stinks here too.
And that's with all the radios off except cell 3g.

I'll run a few more tests to see what the deal is today. If it doesn't get any better, then I'm getting a new battery.