Battery life

scrub571

Reaction score
Just an update since using smart actions:

Been running for 12 hours now under pretty heavy usage. Using navigation, a ton of emails, playing games, more phone calls than normal, searching the market (but no downloads), and not much texting.

My main smart action I use is the included battery extender template...with a couple changes. But I'm firmly believing the smart actions are the key. Strong battery life and keeping up with my wife's iPhone.

Just like anything else in life...if you haven't you should. Pretty damn nice to be able to use this thing all day with confidence of it not dying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

what were your additions to the battery extender template? i added wifi off and cell data I think...

imbue

Reaction score
what were your additions to the battery extender template? i added wifi off and cell data I think...

When the display is off, and not charging...it turns everything thing off...background, data, wifi, GPS. Don't know the original template, but I only changed one or two things.

The other one I use is when I connect to any wifi (there are 3 that are my norm), it shuts data and background sync down.

Also meant to mention at the 12 hour mark I had 50% battery, and still do.
These are basic and solid. Nothing new that hasn't been mentioned, just added validity I guess.

joeygirl

Reaction score
Set up a "rest" smart action

I found this smart action on this forum and it is truly awesome. Battery life is great:

Triggers - Display off

Actions - Cellular Data - disable
GPS - off
Background Sync - off

imbue

Reaction score
I found this smart action on this forum and it is truly awesome. Battery life is great:

Triggers - Display off

Actions - Cellular Data - disable
GPS - off
Background Sync - off

Bingo. I also added wifi off to that.

I also set up an action to kill all cell data when I connect to wifi.

epphllps

Reaction score
Okay guys, was at 100% and took the phone off the charger as I received a call. Talked 41 minutes and 23 seconds and was down to 90% when I hung up.

Is this normal to you?

Edit: Using CDMA (3g) setting only, so data working in background. It was strictly a phone call. 10% for 41 minutes seems quite excessive for this phone. I don't even think my Evo lost 10% that quickly on calls.

ablank

Reaction score
Are you hoping it would be more? Did you have 4g running?

OP
Arsonman

Arsonman

Reaction score
Is there a way to have the sync and data turn off when playing games?

subsynth

Reaction score
I have a few smart actions set up:
disable 4g/cell data when connected to wifi
and a tweaked nighttime battery saver that turns pretty much everything off.

I listened to several hours of Spotify yesterday, checked emails, a few phone calls, a few txts, some facebook, some market updates, etc. My battery was running for almost 24 hours and was at 30%.

I'm pretty happy with that.

Deron

Reaction score
Okay guys, was at 100% and took the phone off the charger as I received a call. Talked 41 minutes and 23 seconds and was down to 90% when I hung up.

Is this normal to you?

Edit: Using CDMA (3g) setting only, so data working in background. It was strictly a phone call. 10% for 41 minutes seems quite excessive for this phone. I don't even think my Evo lost 10% that quickly on calls.

What you don't realize is that the percentage is being rounded to the nearest 10. When your phone says charge is full and reports 100%, it's actually 95 or 96 % and being rounded up. You have to let the phone continue to charge for a bit after it tells you it is fully charged. And when you saw 90%, the actual percent could have been anywhere from 86 to 94 %.

My battery experiments show that the Razr should drain about 9 or 10 percentage points per hour when on a call and the screen off.

Use battery circle widget to see the specific percentage.

SANhacker

Reaction score
I have a few smart actions set up:
disable 4g/cell data when connected to wifi
and a tweaked nighttime battery saver that turns pretty much everything off.

I listened to several hours of Spotify yesterday, checked emails, a few phone calls, a few txts, some facebook, some market updates, etc. My battery was running for almost 24 hours and was at 30%.

I'm pretty happy with that.

+1
I'm usually at work, home or the bar. :biggrin:
All three have WiFi and I turn off cell data whenever I am within range of any of these known networks.
Speed is fantastic and battery life has become much better than my OG Droid.
These Smart Actions truly make a difference. dancedroid

epphllps

Reaction score
What you don't realize is that the percentage is being rounded to the nearest 10. When your phone says charge is full and reports 100%, it's actually 95 or 96 % and being rounded up. You have to let the phone continue to charge for a bit after it tells you it is fully charged. And when you saw 90%, the actual percent could have been anywhere from 86 to 94 %.

My battery experiments show that the Razr should drain about 9 or 10 percentage points per hour when on a call and the screen off.

Use battery circle widget to see the specific percentage.

Thanks Deron, you are definitely one to count on. Even after my last edit I forgot to put in that I was using Battery Circle. It was definitely at 90%, no rounding. I can't stand the rounding percentage indicator. So I went down a full 10 points with screen off and no data with a 40 minute call. Seems that I am draining a bit faster than your tests. In comparing with your notes, I seem to drain faster on all activities around 15-20% faster.

I think I'm stuck with a less than stellar battery unless Moto allows me to exchange (VZW voided all responsibility b/c I put another sim in my phone and activated on another account).

Edit: another note to add - smart actions turn off everything that could drain the battery except cell data while i'm asleep. After 7 1/2 hours of sleep my phone dropped from 100-82. No rogue apps and like I said, no background data. I also keep a 3-5 bar signal at all times, usually 4-5. Frustrating.

DaKlaxx

Reaction score
Compleatly draining your battery is very harmful to it. I use an app called 2X battery it keeps you data useage to a min so your not waisting your battery on the web all the time. I listen to music all the time from my Casio G'z one Commando from pandora and slacker radio before i installed the app i was able to lisen to music off of pandora non-stop for about 5-6 hours after i installed the app i got about 9-10 hours of music time non-stop yes i did the calibration for my phone before i found out that it is exreamly harmful and it can have the opposite affect that you are looking for.

Hoped this helped

-Brought to you By
-DaKlaxx