Battery life?

OP
Jessesmith888

Jessesmith888

Reaction score
Yeah very sad...... and also the reason the thred was created.

DX Liberty 1.5 ftw!

swamp

Reaction score
The TB Snapdragon processor is made using a new "2nd gen."manufacturing process (45nm feature sizes). The earlier Evo 4G (also an identical 1GHz chip) is 1st gen and a 65nm process. Comparing equivalent Snapdragons in that entire line up of chips between the 45/65 Qualcomm stated that change provides a 30% lower dynamic power consumption and a much lower standby power as well. The battery capacity reduction from Evo 4G to Thunderbolt is only about 7%. This guarantees overall longer times between charge with the TB (of course under identical use). Adding an aftermarket higher capacity battery will probably still be highly desirable.

The big CPU guys know that battery life, talk time and charging are a big deal. They are aggressively making new lower power consumption products.

robrecht

Reaction score
The TB Snapdragon processor is made using a new "2nd gen."manufacturing process (45nm feature sizes). The earlier Evo 4G (also an identical 1GHz chip) is 1st gen and a 65nm process. Comparing equivalent Snapdragons in that entire line up of chips between the 45/65 Qualcomm stated that change provides a 30% lower dynamic power consumption and a much lower standby power as well. The battery capacity reduction from Evo 4G to Thunderbolt is only about 7%. This guarantees overall longer times between charge with the TB (of course under identical use). Adding an aftermarket higher capacity battery will probably still be highly desirable.

The big CPU guys know that battery life, talk time and charging are a big deal. They are aggressively making new lower power consumption products.
The CPU is only one aspect of battery life. Think also of the big 4.3" screen and the 3G and 4G radios.

robrecht

Reaction score
The CPU is only one aspect of battery life. Think also of the big 4.3" screen and the 3G and 4G radios.

Yes but most of the other variables (at least between the TB and Evo 4G) should be constant.
But this discussion of battery life is not only in comparison with the Evo 4G, which is notorious for its poor battery life. Note also that the Bolt has 50% more RAM than the Evo 4G, which will also drain more power from the Bolt's smaller battery.

SolidSnakeUS

Reaction score
I just really wish we knew more about this whole battery issue if there is even any.

ToastyZ71

Reaction score
I just really wish we knew more about this whole battery issue if there is even any.

black_man_x has said via twitter that the battery issues, etc is old info, and firmwares have been put in to rectify the issues, as much as possible, battery life should be in the same class as the Evo.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
BECAUSE THESE PHONES ARE BATTERY HOGS, END OF STORY.

A CLAMSHELL DUMB PHONE IS LIKE A HYBRID. WOULD YOU BUY SOME TOYOTA HYBRID CAR AND EXPECT 50 MPG? OF COURSE

A GOOD SMARTPHONE IS LIKE A FERRARI. WOULD YOU BUY THE FERRARI, RUN IT AT 140 MPH ALL DAY, AND EXPECT TO STILL GET 50 MPG? OF COURSE NOT!!!!

Either LEARN to use your phone LESS, have more batteries, always be able to plug your phone in, or shut up! I'm sick of people blaming manufacturers for their own problems, it's like that obese guy who sued mcdonalds because he couldnt put down the ****ing food!

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

Okay you bring up a good analogy, but you are looking at the wrong aspect here. You should be looking at the range.

Ferrari 430 4.3L V-8: avg MPG = 13 - 1
Corolla 1.8L I-4: avg MPG = 29 - 2.2X
Prius hybrid: avg MPG = 50 - 3.8X

Range:
Ferrari tank: 25.1 Gal - 2.1X - 294 miles 1
Corolla tank: 13.2 Gal - 1.1X - 345 miles 1.17X
Prius tank: 11.9 Gal - 1X - 536 miles 1.8X

So Ferrari and pretty much all the other big hitting car companies (Merc, BMW, Audi) have compensated thirsty engines with long lasting fuel tanks.

We deserve some longer lasting fuel tanks!

You made a very good point with that one! Thank you, and i apologize to anyone for sounding angry. Caps lock is cruise control for cool, as they say 8D

It's worthwhile to note that HTC is ready to sell a 2750 mAh battery for the TB...for 70 bucks.

SolidSnakeUS

Reaction score

black_man_x has said via twitter that the battery issues, etc is old info, and firmwares have been put in to rectify the issues, as much as possible, battery life should be in the same class as the Evo.

Curious, since I personally don't know, how good is the Evo battery?

Sentrix

Reaction score
Would it have killed HTC to put a respectable battery (at least 1700 mah) in a 4G LTE phone with a 4.3" screen? I don't think so. It's just ridiculous how little they seem to value battery life. Even Moto-freaking-rola stepped up their game and put a 1950 in the Bionic.

HTC probably delivers the best skinned Android experience with Sense but on the hardware side of things, it's disappointing how they constantly put poor batteries in their phones.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've got a Naztech 1800 maH LiPo USB charger and a Zaggsparq 2.0 for on-the-go T'Bolt charging. Plus, my job allows me to keep my phone plugged in most days when I'm not actually using it. It would be nice to have a phone that worked all week on a five-minute charge but I'll take my chances on drop day and hope HTC works out the battery life issues.

shortsxit

Reaction score
Would it have killed HTC to put a respectable battery (at least 1700 mah) in a 4G LTE phone with a 4.3" screen? I don't think so. It's just ridiculous how little they seem to value battery life. Even Moto-freaking-rola stepped up their game and put a 1950 in the Bionic.

HTC probably delivers the best skinned Android experience with Sense but on the hardware side of things, it's disappointing how they constantly put poor batteries in their phones.

Seido has a 1600 mAh slim battery that will fit with the original battery door.

ToastyZ71

Reaction score

Seido has a 1600 mAh slim battery that will fit with the original battery door.

yeah, but what is 200 mAh going to get you? 5 minutes more?