Battery life is terrible

UNC

Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... android is not good on batteries, it uses a Virtual Machine to run all of its code... the code is NOT native.

As anyone who has ever used VM before will attest, using VM to run code is very cpu/battery intensive... if Android were to run Native Code, we would probably see upwards of a 25% increase in battery life!!!

I've been using VM's for years, and its always been the same...

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea to have one thread dedicated to battery life with a comprehensive list that can be added to as necessary that can be used as a reference guide. Perhaps it could be a sticky and the list would, of course, be contained (and edited) within the opening post. One thread for rooted and one for regular (stock?). The list, I feel, should include a description of where/how to turn off applications or programs that drain battery life.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I think that's an excellent idea. Depending on how I feel after work tonight, I'll write up a good FAQ/First post, and submit it for consideration/comments/additions and we'll ask a mod to sticky it.

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score
I think that's an excellent idea. Depending on how I feel after work tonight, I'll write up a good FAQ/First post, and submit it for consideration/comments/additions and we'll ask a mod to sticky it.
Thanks NGFL. That will be a huge help to alot of people.

shaddix

Reaction score
Well after spending a day with AT&T I have decided to give my d2g another chance LOL.

Reaction score
Thanks NGFL. That will be a huge help to alot of people.

I'm just too tired tonight. It's only 10:30 and I'm going to bed. I'll get there eventually.

LGOP

Reaction score
Had something kind of odd happen. Before I went to sleep last night, put D2G in charger. I looked at the display and the batt was being charged, and in the cradle the phone reverts to multimedia mode with the clock. The batt was at like 20%, woke up this morning, took it off charger and batt was at 50%. Is it possible that it charged fully, and then stopped charging because it was full and ran all nite on batt power in the cradle?

eeclark21

Reaction score
I just created my profile to mention that my battery problems have improved greatly with some simple tinkering. my battery has been lasting an entire day with use. Recently my battery has lasted an entire day without dropping under 70% and left it off the charger and when i woke up it was at 50%. Thats an entire 24 hours. and this is with the 3G on.

I didn't root it and change CPU or ROMs or anything. i remember before it would almost be dead before i even left work.

The main thing i did was change my batter saver option to custom and changed my off peak hours to 9am to 9pm. just tinkering around.. also

-use auto-end list
-wifi off, bluetooth off,
-disabled background data
-battery booster App (screen timeout 30 secs, Smart battery saver on, low level security to save more battery)
-turn screen brightness down, 4%?

If you can compare, then great but my phone last a 24 hours only using 50% of battery through moderate use.

whatever i did, it seems to have worked or the battery booster app is awesome..

/edit/ Maybe it was the battery booster app, i dont care, I have power!

Reaction score
Rather than battery booster, I suggest you look at screebl. It monitors the orientation of the screen. if your phone's within a certain range, it keeps the screen on, if it's not (or if it sits still for too long), it turns the screen off. Quite useful, and it saves more battery than it uses.

gmvirtual

Reaction score
Rather than battery booster, I suggest you look at screebl. It monitors the orientation of the screen. if your phone's within a certain range, it keeps the screen on, if it's not (or if it sits still for too long), it turns the screen off. Quite useful, and it saves more battery than it uses.

has screebl helped you?? what usage are you getting with it??

kenstar

Reaction score
To eeclark:
Sorry, but I hold the record with 1 day 9 hrs.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL that your mom bought for me.

JonDiPietro

Reaction score
I'm a complete Android noob trying to figure out if the crappy battery life on my D2G (6 - 8 hours with VERY light use) is a) normal b) poor config or c) defective.

I've read through this entire thread and still have no idea which, but I'm leaning toward "b". Looking forward to that FAQ as I'm trying to get up to speed on Android and figure this battery thing out at the same time. Clock is ticking on my 30 day window...

ExodusC

Reaction score
Get this, after reinstalling Fission and configuring the Droid virtually the exact same way as before, I'm suddenly getting significantly better battery life.

Not sure how to explain that one.

Reaction score
I will start a writeup after lunch. I'm out the door to do a quick job, snag some food and then relax for the rest of my day off. Just to show what you CAN get, I got my BP7X (2nd one. First one I bought with the wrong color battery door, MY FAULT, and Verizon not only let me swap it, they 2 day FedEx'd me the new one) I charged it to 100% last night, it's been off the charger since. I haven't done ANYTHING with it, but I want to show what you can get with MINIMAL use. I say again, this IS NOT NORMAL, or to be expected for all/many/often.

OtRAb.png

Edited to add: Yes, that screenshot is exactly 1 minute old. The wonders of wifi file explorer pro.