Bad battery life on gb .607...thoughts?

captain howdy

Reaction score
Well I just got the OTA GB and after a full discharge then a full charge my battery is doing fine. I got 10 hrs of extremely heavy use, constant pandora radio with gps for about 2 hrs and about 1 hr of internet surfing. My basic plan was to see how fast I could kill the battery. Now with the weekend coming up I plan to see just how long it will hold a charge, that's by turning off wifi, 3G etc. Everything off but the power. Will up date Sunday night.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

captain howdy

Reaction score
Ok is Sunday, 48 hrs later and i have 75% at this rate the battery can last a total of 8 days or 192 hrs

slimpirudude

Reaction score
What are you doing to get that great batt life even with the heavy use?

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
75% after 48 hours is, quoting him, “I plan to see just how long it will hold a charge, that's by turning off wifi, 3G etc”.

arsci

Reaction score
My battery life with froyo was not bad, then I tried the leak and it was better. I got an invite to the soak test and SBF'd back, and updated to the soak test and my battery life was HORRIFIC, along with a TON of other issues. Wouldnt mount the SD card, wouldnt detect USB connection, terrible service connection, etc. I SBF'd back again and waited for GB to launch. Since I updated via the OTA my battery life has been great. I use juice defender with my screen dimmed all the way, and running with bluetooth on all the time, occational web browsing, about 30 minutes worth of calls, pretty heavy amount of texting, some photos, video, uploads, etc and my battery lasted just shy of 36 hours. Overnight (midnight to about 9AM) my battery level didn't drop at all (sat at 60%) and I know that was due to juice defender keeping 3G shut down, and syncing with google, etc. once per hour. I should add I am also rooted, and have a bunch of apps frozen...most of them actually. My battery usage thing listed Display, Phone Idle, Voice Calls, Cell Standby, Bluetooth, and Android OS.

OP
N

nola

Reaction score
so i know background data eats battery like fat kids eat cake, and i thought i had tried working with it off before, but i decided to try a full charge with it off again, and wow. (yes in my original OP and i had background data on at that time, but i tried switching it off previously with less than desirable results.)

after moderate to heavy use, (75-80 texts, 10-13 browser sessions, 8-10 phone calls, 4-5 nfl mobile sessions - watching video, facebook, words with friends, angry birds, pandora, youtube, toyota entune, and more that i can't remember; i'm sitting at around 55% after 23 hours!

i guess there's some truth to the things i hear people say about batteries having to "grow into" their new firmware so to speak. either way, this is epic to me. will post back when it finally dies

:icon_ banana:

Kimo91

Reaction score
Verizon sent me a brand new extended life battery today cause both my "new" batteries went bad, one from froyo and the other on GB...we'll see how this new battery lasts once I get it fully charged.

Sent from my Boeing sponsored rooted Gingerbread D2G

captain howdy

Reaction score
75% after 48 hours is, quoting him, “I plan to see just how long it will hold a charge, that's by turning off wifi, 3G etc”.

Keep in mind that is with no use at all. No calls, no text and not even powering on the screen. Just letting it sit untouched and no wifi or data. Post your results. I found it almost impossible not to mess with my phone for 2 days. Good thing my brother has one lol

Stefan82

Reaction score
First I hate to complain but you guys that get a full 24 plus, do you turn your phone into a dumb phone? I have read many articles on forums that talk about how people are getting those times and they basically turn everything off. I'm just curious, and I'm starting a forum on this please check it out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL (rooted) using DroidForums

leobg

Reaction score
First I hate to complain but you guys that get a full 24 plus, do you turn your phone into a dumb phone? I have read many articles on forums that talk about how people are getting those times and they basically turn everything off. I'm just curious, and I'm starting a forum on this please check it out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL (rooted) using DroidForums

No software update can decrease power consumption of the display which is the most power hungry part. You can get more than a day use if you do not use the phone actively too much. 2+ hours display on and you will hardly make thru a day.
I use ext battery (original BP7X) and was able to make 4 days and 1 hour, but phone was my backup at the time which meant I didnt use it for calling or browsing/reading. Battery saver was on to switch data off between 11pm and 8am. Total display use was like 30 min for the whole period. Data sync, gps, email, twitter, facebook and linkedin were all on during this period. So phone want in "dumb mode".
With my usual use I make around 20 hours easily and this includes display on often more than 2 hours. Worst use I had is 4.5 to 5 hours from full to empty, but display on all the time (browsing/working). If you watch movies/youtube it will be less though, around 4 hours.
In pure dumb mode (airplane mode with sim out and pure standby) you can make like 10 days. This is how manufacturers state the "up to 240 hours" value.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Like I posted in another thread, I leave everything enabled (except Bluetooth), and it holds for 28 to 36 hours.