Bad battery life on gb .607...thoughts?

nola

Reaction score
Is it just me or does battery life suck on .607? I have juice defender running at balanced, background data is on, and most widgets set to sync every 2-3 hours and im getting really bad life out of the battery with light to moderate use :( Screen brightness IS turned up high but still, even with all the same settings on froyo hexen I was getting 3-4 times the battery life. Kind of discouraging honestly but maybe I need to reflash?

Any feedback, tips, or thoughts?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Morrissey

Reaction score
I was at 20 hours with 40% remaining before i charged..light to moderate use. Got most of the bloat frozen, no juice def or anything like that.....way better then i used to get before update

OP
N

nola

Reaction score
A: how do you see a percentage? Widget/app? I can't see a percentage but if I guessed id say im at 40% after only 3 hours off the charger :(

And B: do you think the freezing of bloatware made that big of a difference in battery life? If so, can you point me in the direction of a good app/script for that?

Thanks for the feedback man

Kimo91

Reaction score
I noticed that when I had the leaked. 606 GB, the battery drain was just like FROYO, horrible at best and that was after 2 brand new batteries. I have the official. 607 and so far the battery drain is the same. I use the internet maybe 2-3 hours a day and changed refresh settings to 3 hours.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I would run the battery all the way down until the phone shuts off and then charge it all the way up without removing it from the charger. Your battery stats may be wack after the update. Do this battery calibration once every month or two but not too often.

OP
N

nola

Reaction score
Just dropped to orange battery after around 3 1/2 hours. I mean this is atrocious! Even on froyo it wasn't this bad :( might have to go back to hexen sooner than I thought :/

I have root battery calibrator and charged fully this morning and im letting it die down (quickly) so hopefully that will help somewhat, but can someone tell me what I need to do to freeze bloatware and ill try that...

leobg

Reaction score
Get rid of all task managers and battery life improvement tools. They are proven to cause reverse effect on newer Android versions. Battery life on both 606 and 607 is like twice as good as on 2.4.330. I get 48h with ease. Up from 16 hours before (ext batt)

OP
N

nola

Reaction score
Get rid of all task managers and battery life improvement tools. They are proven to cause reverse effect on newer Android versions. Battery life on both 606 and 607 is like twice as good as on 2.4.330. I get 48h with ease. Up from 16 hours before (ext batt)

that's what i'm talkin about! i maxed my battery out at 54 hours on hexen and on .607 gingerbread i just hit 15% after 3 hours 29 minutes :( i'm still going to charge fully once i let it shut down and hopefully that will help.

i mean the install went perfect with no issues, could it have been something went wrong during the flashing without me knowing? should i reflash if the root calibrator has no positive effects?

juice defender always worked for me on hexen, but i never tried to freeze anything as 54 hours of battery was epic enough for me.

this is just really frustrating...reminds me of my first day with this phone, having it die in a matter of hours :(

OP
N

nola

Reaction score
well it died in under 4 hours. a far cry from what i'm used to. going to charge fully without turning it on and hope for a better result. any ideas? a factory reset? wipe data/cache?

Morrissey

Reaction score
A: how do you see a percentage? Widget/app? I can't see a percentage but if I guessed id say im at 40% after only 3 hours off the charger :(

And B: do you think the freezing of bloatware made that big of a difference in battery life? If so, can you point me in the direction of a good app/script for that?

Thanks for the feedback man

I use Battery Indicator Pro, I found a thread over at rootzwiki that runs down everything thats safe to freeze....basically that same stuff I had frozen before the update. I think freezing bloat helps, if its not running it cant eat power.

OP
N

nola

Reaction score
thanks man. like i said, i did the root calibrate at 100%, let it die, and now it's charging at 50%. i'll test that full charge when it's done, and if i see no improvement i'll try that.

i'm really starting to think something went wrong during the flashing. it was so easy and presumably flawless; maybe it was too good to be true. i mean 3 1/2 hours is garbage and i've definitely seen other people's .607 getting better battery than that.

...ugh

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Charge it all the way up and see how it goes. Phone doesn't need to be off. Update PRLs by dialing *22899 for good measure.

OP
N

nola

Reaction score
Charge it all the way up and see how it goes. Phone doesn't need to be off. Update PRLs by dialing *22899 for good measure.

update prls? what does that mean? i mean, if it helps i'm all about it, i'm just a little naive and still learning. thanks for the suggestion bud

edit: nevermind, i googled it. so how would updating a prl help battery?

Last edited:

SteveIrv

Reaction score
When I first installed 606 on my phone it sucked the battery so quick the phone got hotter than Hades.....I let it get most of the way down, pulled the battery, put it back in to reboot the phone.....stuck in in the dock/charger overnight and since then my battery seems to "love me long time"........

I use the heck out the phone all day long and then I put it back on the cradle at night when I go to bed.......still showing 60% charged.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
update prls? what does that mean? i mean, if it helps i'm all about it, i'm just a little naive and still learning. thanks for the suggestion bud

edit: nevermind, i googled it. so how would updating a prl help battery?

Apparently Verizon recommends updating PRLs every month or two. I don't have a deep technical understanding of what happens but: Verizon adds and removes towers all of the time. If you don't update your PRLs periodically, your phone could be trying to connect to towers that aren't the best for your area. Imagine that your phone was connecting to a far away tower because it is the only one that it knows about. It takes more energy when the signal has to go so far. Updating PRLs makes your phone aware of the best, closest towers. Don't ask me why this isn't done automatically, cuz I don't know.

In addition to updating the PRLs, running the battery down all the way and charging it all the way calibrates the phone's understanding of the battery. When you get a new battery, after a factory reset, or after you get a new OS update it is a good idea to run it til off and charge it til full to reset the battery stats. This is also recommended once every 1-2 months as things get off kilter over time. Try not to do it too often, though as lithium ion batteries don't really like to be run down all the way. It's not a huge deal to run it down, but once every 1-2 months is apparently the sweet spot.

Good luck with your "brand new" D2G!