battery life fix

ironslave

Reaction score
i found this on a webpage somwhere,
install handcent and disable default messaging to fix the battery life issue

anyone noticed improvement? i installed it just now and will report back later, although i havent figured out if messaging has been disabled...

also mentioned was removing taskiller if it is installed

:droideris:

rweckhoff

Reaction score
I honestly don't believe this is an issue with the Eris. You can download Spare Parts and check for yourself, however, I tried it and saw no improvements.

I had an issue where my Eris (after a reset) would not go into sleep mode at all. VZW replaced the phone. I left the stock messages app and all is well. Well - as well as can be expected with a small battery. I've learned to adjust my usage style and expectations of the battery.

I love the features and form of the Eris and do not want go the Motorola route. Although they are claiming better battery life, Sense UI rocks. Hoping that 2.0 brings some battery optimizations with it.

Bob

OP
I

ironslave

Reaction score
I love the features and form of the Eris and do not want go the Motorola route. Although they are claiming better battery life, Sense UI rocks. Hoping that 2.0 brings some battery optimizations with it.

agreed 100%

rweckhoff

Reaction score
Let me close this out ... I went to Verizon twice today regarding battery life. Once at noon and once when I got back from work.

At noon - their fix was to replace the unit. So I'm on my third Eris. I charged it fully and left off everything but mobile network so I can use it as a phone. Over the three hour period from when I disconnected it to when I went to my local store - I lost just shy of 45% of the battery. This was consistent with my previous devices and observations.

So I truck on over to my local VZW store to complain and they inform me that they have had numerous people complain (the NYC store indicated no issues) and that there data engineer has a fix.

Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Network Settings > Enable always-on mobile

Make sure is is not checked.

They've indicated this will solve the battery issue and should have no impact on core services.

We'll see.

jjprusk

Reaction score
I've seen this "tip" on several other forums and indeed does seem to save battery life. However, there are some huge drawbacks - such as mail does not get pushed any more, etc. I haven't personally tried this, but from the sounds of it there are serious usability consequences. The battery isn't that small - it sounds to me that they need to fix something in the software...

uujim

Reaction score
disabling always-on mobile data

I disabled this yesterday, and it does indeed seem to lengthen the battery life. But I noticed that Gmail is still getting pushed to my Eris. So it appears that Gmail functionality is not affected by disabling "always-on mobile data".

Fairfax22032

Reaction score
I have had my ERIS for 5 days and was getting 6-8 hours of life out of the battery following a full charge with mobile networking on, but much better (2-3x) with this turned off. It does, however, seem to defeat one of the key features of this device. I am going to give this a couple of more days before heading back to the VZW store to see about getting a replacement if things do not improve. I can actually live with recharging this every night, but I need to know that it will work from 6am to midnight for routine use without being tethered to a charger.

emscapt47

Reaction score
Hmmm i got mine coming to me today..I really wish i did better looking around before i ordered it...Well i hope i dont get screwed...I coming from a BB storm...hmmmmm.....grrrrr....:blackberry:

Androidatic

Reaction score
So after reading several forums and getting a little frustrated with the lack of battery life, I did the following:

- Added widgets to control Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and Mobile Network and keep them off all of the time
- I left the Location settings "Use wireless netwroks" and "Location Setting" checked.
- Kept the stock messaging app.

WOW, what a difference! My phone has been all all day and I still almost a full charge. I turn on Mobile Networks when I want to check e-mail and surf some web sites and then turn it back off when I'm done. I expect to get at least 1/ 1/2, and hopefully, 2 days out of a charge.

Sure it's a little of an inconvenience but I guess it's the best that we can hope for.

lowtech

Reaction score
So after reading several forums and getting a little frustrated with the lack of battery life, I did the following:

- Added widgets to control Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and Mobile Network and keep them off all of the time
- I left the Location settings "Use wireless netwroks" and "Location Setting" checked.
- Kept the stock messaging app.

WOW, what a difference! My phone has been all all day and I still almost a full charge. I turn on Mobile Networks when I want to check e-mail and surf some web sites and then turn it back off when I'm done. I expect to get at least 1/ 1/2, and hopefully, 2 days out of a charge.

Sure it's a little of an inconvenience but I guess it's the best that we can hope for.

That really helps. Until someone comes out with an extended life battery and (maybe) HTC does something in the software, this is a good fix. I am also using Advanced Task Killer to shut down apps...

Fairfax22032

Reaction score
Is it realistic to assume that HTC can resolve/improve the battery issue with a software update, or is this potentially a hardware issue? I know that it has not been released, but would you expect the HTC Passion (which is supposed to have Android 2.0) to experience the same battery life issues?

Mattb

Reaction score
I figured out yesterday what the problem was with my battery. I had done the SMS fix right away when I got my Eris, but even then I would unplug my phone at around 8am and be down to around 80% and hour or so later. I was constantly at 100% awake. I started looking at the programs that were running and eliminated them one by one to see if anything made a difference. Well, it ended up being the YouMail app. I uninstalled it last night, and now today I unplugged my Eris at 8am and now at 11pm with moderate use through the day I have 60% remaining and am at 16% awake. I am very happy now.

Gary

Reaction score
download the 'Kill selected apps' application. This is the best battery life extender I have tried. Apps running in the background use a lot of energy from the tiny battery.

jsmmao

Reaction score
Is it realistic to assume that HTC can resolve/improve the battery issue with a software update, or is this potentially a hardware issue? I know that it has not been released, but would you expect the HTC Passion (which is supposed to have Android 2.0) to experience the same battery life issues?

Im interested in the same thing. I bought the eris a couple days ago and it is by far the best phone Ive ever owned (been a blackberry guy for awhile). The only problem is, that I take it off the charger at 6 a.m. and I am lucky if I make it to 9 pm at night. Although there is the option of charging it during the day while i am at work, but I am more interested if there will be a fix for this or if the passion will be a better phone. If thats the case, then i will return this and wait for the the htc passion to come out. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. thanks

falltime

Reaction score
Bizzarly I tried every battery fixed that is out there and none seemed to do all that much. Then a few days ago they all seemed to be working great. I realised that it isn't the fixes....the battery is just getting much better. I know it sounds insane but I think the stock battery takes more than a couple of cycles to really work right. Now I keep location settings and background data sync on...and I easily get a full day with lots of use...wired but true.

Last edited: