battery life fix

xfeathersx

Reaction score
falltime...I thought the same thing, but didn't want to post in for ppl thinking I was nuts...lol...But my battery is certainly lasting way longer...:biggrin:

goathog02

Reaction score
How long does it take? I have had mine for a week and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I don't want a Droid, but I am losing faith that the Dragon will be any better.

xfeathersx

Reaction score
I have mine for 2 1/2 weeks, use it constantly. I didn't do anything special, just shut off the bluetooth, and the nav4all... I had similar problems with my blackberry last year and one of the reps told me to run the battery all the way down before charging, so thats basically all ive been doing with the eris...Just full cycling really...

alfmoonspace

Reaction score
I do remember my iPhone having a similar issue when it was first released (especially my 3G) but was fixed with a firmware update. Hopefully the December 11th update will address this or even the February update. I actually just traded my Droid for the Eris and I don't care if I only have 3 minutes of battery life, this phone is the best phone I have had since my iPhone. Not saying the Droid is a slouch but for me the Eris suits my life better. I do not think HTC/Verizon/Google will let battery life that is substantially bad slip without an update. Today I used my phone heavily since 10am and it just died about an hour ago (5pm), that is pretty good in my eyes.

B_CRINE!

Reaction score
re:Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Network Settings > Enable always-on mobile

I turned this setting off and it did wonders for my battery life. Before I wouldn't even make it a day but now I can go a day and a half to 2 without recharging. Awesome!

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
re:Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Network Settings > Enable always-on mobile

I turned this setting off and it did wonders for my battery life. Before I wouldn't even make it a day but now I can go a day and a half to 2 without recharging. Awesome!

So then what didi this option do? Does it turn off the 3G Module and only turning it on for sync/surfing??

Did you still receive mails IN TIME?

B_CRINE!

Reaction score

So then what didi this option do? Does it turn off the 3G Module and only turning it on for sync/surfing??

Did you still receive mails IN TIME?

I'm not exactly sure what this option does. I've looked over the manual and I can't get any specific information. My 3G is still on all the time. I don't see any Facebook notifications on the top status bar anymore. Maybe it stops social network notifications?
Gmail still syncs up. Mine is set to refresh every 15 minutes and it still does this with "always on mobile" disabled.

alfmoonspace

Reaction score
Canceled that feature and still the same battery life...Do you guys think this will be addressed with the update in December?

sgoldwa

Reaction score
Battery problem solved

Alfmoonspace & others,
Like you, I have had a love/hate relationship with my Eris. LOVE the phone, hated the battery life. In fact, I was seriously considering returning it to Verizon.

After exchanging the original for a new battery and following other tips in these forums, I now have battery life far BETTER than expected. So here's what to check for --

1 - Are you running the 3rd party app YouMail? If you are, get rid of it. Same goes for Verizon's Visual Voicemail (in that case, just don't use it -- I am not sure you can delete an app preinstalled on the phone). YouMail KILLED my battery life.

2 - Check your awake time. If it running at or near 100%, some app or another is not letting the phone sleep. Once I got to the bottom of this (in my case, YouMail), battery life markedly improved.

3 - Let your phone discharge fully 3 nights in a row. then charge it up. That last 8- to 10% seems to take forever to drain. Call some number (i.e. your home) and just keep the line open till it drains. For good measure, make sure GPS, Wifi and Bluetooth are all ON so that it drains faster!

4 - Keep the screen brightness at about 25%. It's still plenty bright and it'll save battery life.

In the past, I would hardly use the phone in the morning, and by 10 or 11am, I would have gone down from 100 to 79% -- it was ridiculous! Today, I did use the phone moderately, did some surfing, had Exchange Server syncing mail every 30 minutes, and by 11am, I was at 89%. I even had over 60% by the end of the business day!

I even turned on GPS and it did not have a noticeable impact on my battery life nor my awake times.

Be patient, because once you get past your battery issue, you will find this to be one of the best phones EVER. I am so happy that I stuck with it! And I can't wait till Android 2.0 comes out. That will be nirvana!!!

lowtech

Reaction score
"2 - Check your awake time. If it running at or near 100%, some app or another is not letting the phone sleep. Once I got to the bottom of this (in my case, YouMail), battery life markedly improved."

How do you do this? I'll try anything at this point... love the phone - hate the battery!

sgoldwa

Reaction score
Go to Settings (appears as an icon in the window showing all icons), then scroll to the bottom & press "About Phone", then press "Status" and scroll to the bottom in order to see Awake Time. The percentage is more important than the time. A percentage between 0 and 30% would be indicative of someone experiencing good battery performance; a vakue at or near 100% means you're draining it quickly and getting close to buying a different phone.

Mattb

Reaction score
Like I said before, YouMail was killing mine too. After uninstalling it, I am at 15% awake time for 86hours of uptime and my battery is good for over 20 hours. That is also with GPS and WiFi on all the time and bluetooth on when I need it. I am very happy with it. Now if only we could get updated so we can get navigation :)

lowtech

Reaction score
Go to Settings (appears as an icon in the window showing all icons), then scroll to the bottom & press "About Phone", then press "Status" and scroll to the bottom in order to see Awake Time. The percentage is more important than the time. A percentage between 0 and 30% would be indicative of someone experiencing good battery performance; a vakue at or near 100% means you're draining it quickly and getting close to buying a different phone.

Mine went from not-too-bad to VERY BAD, suddenly. I checked the setting and... 100%!!! I recalled installing and running Astro with some components prior to the sudden decline in battery life. I uninstalled that app and... 23%! Hmmm... very dramatic!

I do not have YouMail installed, so this must have been my big problem app. Now I will drain and recharge a few times and see how it goes...

Thanks very much for this tip!

Wolfdroid

Reaction score
I've had the Eris for 8 days now, let the battery fully discharge for 3 days running before charging. Awake time is 33 hours and i average between 13% to 21%. I have disabled always-on mobile netwok, but left mobole network connected (3G). I have disabled Auto Backlight and have the Brightness set at 25%. Got rid of Advanced Task Killer and some other misc apps. I'm getting about 36 hours before having to charge it. I think over time if you treat the battery right, and watch what apps your running (that would be trial & error), it's a pretty good phone.