Battery gets hot... and mean HOT!!! (READ ME)

Kevin8se7en

Reaction score
My phone got HOT as hell yesterday while charging it. I don't mean warm.. I mean HOT. My power manager said OVHT which obviously means OVERHEAT... the screen was very hot as well. It was charging for about an hour and a half before I noticed and the battery only said 15% when normally it should say somewehre around 80% in that time... anybody else experience this?

I'm going to go exchange my phone ASAP for another Droid... I probably just got a "lemon". I'm writing this because it was fine for almost a full week and honestly.. it's a fire hazard... if it had been plugged in for longer, who knows how hot it would have gotten. Basically, at least for the next week or so, don't leave the house with your phone charging, i'd make sure it doesn't do what mine did for a week or 2 before trusting it.

NOTE: To explain the degree of heat... kind of like the metal part of a seatbelt in a car that's been in the sun for several hours... it almost hurts but not quite. It would make an infant cry.

Bhinderoid

Reaction score
Dude I've left my battery charging for a couple hours before I went to the gym (it was at 50%). I got home an hour and a half later and it was at 30% and the battery was hot as hell.

This is my second battery and the guy said if I had an issue with this one, I can go and exchange the phone. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow lol.

J

JohnDroid

I would definitely take em back if you are having issues, you don't need exploding phones ;)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, with what i've read about the batteries and iphone issues. I think the main issue was in asia, through a battery manufacturer over there. But the batteries got so hot they actually exploded. I know there have been a few iphone / ipod issues also here in the US. If at any time your phone gets very hot to the touch, i don't mean warm, but HOT, you should instantly turn it off and remove the battery. I would take the unit to the closest verizon store and explain to them what is going on, or if there isn't one close or you just don't have the time, then call up verizon and they should be able to overnight a replacement, whether it be a battery or entire phone. Seeing the damage it has done to people, i would NEVER chance anything like that.

Below is a link to what happened to the iphones just in case:

Another iPhone Explodes in Europe

PS.. the reason I use the Iphone as a reference is because it's more of the well known.

phicoo

Reaction score
Yes, my phone battery has started getting very hot. Sometimes when it is not even charging. About a week ago it stopped holding a good charge. By mid afternoon it was dead, I had made about 4 short calls and that's it! I called verizon and they said they have had no reports of hot batteries and if it's hot I should trade out the phone. But this just started happening a week ago. I went to the Verizon store and they said it was the battery only. Gave me new one to try. Today it is still draining fast. Half of the charge is gone by noon and I have not even used the damn thing.

Help!

Pancake

Reaction score
Yes, my phone battery has started getting very hot. Sometimes when it is not even charging. About a week ago it stopped holding a good charge. By mid afternoon it was dead, I had made about 4 short calls and that's it! I called verizon and they said they have had no reports of hot batteries and if it's hot I should trade out the phone. But this just started happening a week ago. I went to the Verizon store and they said it was the battery only. Gave me new one to try. Today it is still draining fast. Half of the charge is gone by noon and I have not even used the damn thing.

Help!

As long as you're within a month of buying it, you can exchange the phone for a new one if it is defective. Go back to the store and ask for a new phone; explain that two different batteries did this, and they ought to let you switch it out.

solution

Reaction score
Just got my droid today for xmas. I haven't had an issue as of yet, however I have had the exact situation you are describing with a Samsung Blackjack I used to have back in the day. The problem in that situation was the memory card. There was a defect with the memory card that would cause an electrical short that drained the battery extremely quickly and overheated the unit.

Have you tried using the unit without the memory card installed? Try charging the unit without the memory card installed, charge it to full capacity and then use it as normal. If your phone does not overheat anymore that could be what is causing the problem.

sdf

Reaction score
Something similar is happening to me but not when I am charging. I notice it when the icon with the two arrows in a circle (syncing???) appears in the upper right hand corner next to the "3G" icon.

It makes me wonder if the problem isn't the battery but that the phone is doing some background function that is killing the battery. That icon will appear for hours, make the phone hot, and drain the battery.

Has anyone else noticed this? Could this be what's causing the phone to get hot and the battery to drain? What is the icon for?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

phicoo

Reaction score
Battery issue resolved.

Verizon traded out the phone and shipped me a new one. That fixed it. Now I will go the whole day and with heavier usage my battery may only discharge to 60-70%. There was definitely a bug in that first phone.

sdf

Reaction score
Interesting. I may have to talk with Verizon (but it's been over 30 days since I got the phone).

The "phone gets hot, battery drains, syncing icon comes on" thing doesn't happen every day. It only happens about once a week. I will normally get almost 2 days of usage on the phone. Then when the syncing icon thing happens, my battery drains in about 6 hours (all settings stay the same).

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Everybody make note of Solutions post in here as well.

phicoo

Reaction score
Battery issue resolved.

the first time I went back to Verizon they traded out the battery within the 30 period. That did not make a difference. I went back two weeks later and had a bit more animated discussion with them. they decided to trade it out under warranty and shipped me a new one. That worked.

I think they know there are droid phones out there with this bug/issue but they try not to admit it. Anyway, I love the phone now.

Oh, and if you go to Verizon location, go to a corporate store vs. franchise location. You'll have a better chance of getting it traded out for a new one.

CGLOCK

Reaction score
The one and only time my phone got warm was running navigation for 30 min.

cakzoh

Reaction score
Mine has been getting hot with and without charging. I guess I will have to get a new phone. What a drag!!! I also, noticed that once while driving with my sister, I could not make a call but she was to the same number at the same time with a Samsung phone. What's up with that? Could it be the phone getting hot? Anyone have the same thing happen? :r_c: