Battery drains in 4 hours after a trip to the US

Bearess

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One S
Hello. This is an issue that happens to me for the second time and I cannot for the life if me figure out what is going on.

A year ago I had a Blackberry Pearl, and I travelled to the US with it. It worked fine there, but once I came back, the battery stopped holding charge. It would last me a maximum of 6 hours if I didn't even touch the phone, less if used. Back then I tried replacing the battery, using a different charger, trying to use as few apps as possible...nothing helped. Eventually I decided my Berry was weird and bought an HTC One S.

And then, 10 days ago, I went to the US. Phone worked fine there, but once I came home, the same damn thing started happening: battery lasts 5 hours, 9 on airplane mode, if I unlock the phone to read a text, it heats up and the charge drops from, say, 15% to, say, 9% in 30 seconds. I tried using different chargers. Nothing suspicious is consuming the charge if I check battery usage in the settings. It's driving me nuts. What is going on, and what - if anything - can I do to fix it?!

wcjeep

Reaction score
Is your home area cdma or gsm? If CDMA, have you tried to update your coverage area when back home?

OP
B

Bearess

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One S
Is your home area cdma or gsm? If CDMA, have you tried to update your coverage area when back home?
My home area is GSM...

Somebody told me that the problem is probably the dc charge hub - I don't quite know what that means, but does it make any sense?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Which phone do you have now?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Since you can not remove the battery, I would try a trickle charge. Turn the phone off and plug it into your PC and allow it to charge at least 4 hours. Make sure the PC does not go into sleep mode as charging usually stops.

Let us know if this works for you.

OP
B

Bearess

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One S
Since you can not remove the battery, I would try a trickle charge. Turn the phone off and plug it into your PC and allow it to charge at least 4 hours. Make sure the PC does not go into sleep mode as charging usually stops.

Nope, tried that one, didn't do anything. I will try it again, but I really doubt it is going to work.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
This is simple and just might fix your issue!

With the phone powered off, plug into original charger that came with phone. Let charge to 100%. Then unplug and make sure it is full. Then restart phone. This sounds like a battery calibration issue

OP
B

Bearess

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One S
With the phone powered off, plug into original charger that came with phone. Let charge to 100%. Then unplug and make sure it is full. Then restart phone. This sounds like a battery calibration issue

It has to be the original charger? I don't think I have it anymore...

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It is just recommended that it is, you can try an off brand. But make sure it is actually rated for correct specs for your phone. I am just giving you the facts so. But trying can't hurt to much

OP
B

Bearess

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One S
It is just recommended that it is, you can try an off brand. But make sure it is actually rated for correct specs for your phone. I am just giving you the facts so. But trying can't hurt to much
Awesome, thanks. I actually noticed a difference last time I charged it when off, except that I had to unplug it and turn it on before it finished charging. When I did that, the battery didn't seem to be draining. But after that, when I plugged it back in, it was draining again, and I thought I was just seeing things...

OP
B

Bearess

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One S

Unfortunately, this did not work. I think there is something short circuited that makes the battery discharge...will have to take it to someone who can fix it, I suppose.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I would recommend you charge to 100% then use Kies 3 to restore and reset your device to factory and this should fix your issue

OP
B

Bearess

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One S
I would recommend you charge to 100% then use Kies 3 to restore and reset your device to factory and this should fix your issue

Does Kies 3 do anything besides backing up my data? I already restored the phone to factory settings - didn't do anything (other than making me lose a couple of numbers I forgot to backup).

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It will completely reflash everything on the phone to factory, including your radios and battery stats. Go under tools and then choose reset and initialize.